blinking cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepykins

Daemon Poster
I know what you're thinking, you've seen this before, i may have even posted about this before :p but here is the problem,

i'll install windows fine, then a few months later on boot it will just start a blinkin cursor on a black screen, used to think it was an mbr issue and sometimes that fixed it.

however, its continued to plague my computer and im having difficulty finding out what the problem is, as ive tried everything a good will come up with and my roommate is a support tech (and me learning) and he doesnt know,

ive switched the ram out, its not that:- this has happened with two hard-drives, done manufacturers drive tools on both, both are working fine according to those. did a memory scan anyway,

but the problem persists. any ideas would be helpful.

specs:
amd 6000 (3gig) dual core
nvid 9600GT card
4gb ocz reaper series ram, ddr800
msi k9n neo v3 board
two sata drives, one WD (320g) and seagate (500g)
one ide cdrom drive

additonal info:

everytime i did a partition using the windows xp disc, it would copy the setup files then when it restarted, bam blinking cursor,

but when i changed the partition to 100gig or lower than max which was 137gig for the xp disk, IT WORKED! and installed.

is this hard-drive related? have i messed up two different hard-drives in the same way somehow? or is it another piece of hardware, losing my mind :(

Try using Gparted to handle partitioning the disk instead of your Windows disk. See the quote in MoM's signature about it. ;)

OK so new plan then :p

after going to the gparted tutorial, if i do this ....

can anyone help me try and get around the 137gig barrier, because if i repartition using gparted ill need to reinstall windows, which will limit me and im back to square one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom