Specifying parts for Computer upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muckmail

Baseband Member
What terms do I use when I specify a motherboard, CPU, memory for an upgrade? I am think there is a term called "form factor" to specify a motherboard size for a case? If so how do
I figure out what "form factor" my case has? What other
terms should I be conserned with?

I have purchased a custom computer in 2000 with the following
items.
- A-top 850 tool less tower case ( I think is is the 850 model).
-. It has a 1000 meghertz Athon processor
- 128 meg of ram
-. Mother board manual has AK74-SC/SU System board written across the front.
-. I have 3 60g Maxtor drives which are new. 2 are currently in my system.
-. I replaced a 30 maxtor with the to 60g Maxtor drives so I am left with 1 old 30g drive & one extra 60g Maxtor drive.
-. 56 k robotics modem for dial up.
-. Old Gateway 1776 17” The monitor which is ok.
-. Planning on upgrading to Win 2000 or maybe Windows XP
I am considering replacing my motherboard, memory & CPU. I will probably also need to replace the power supply. I am confused on sizing the motherboard to the case
and what do I need to specify when I order one from a vendor. I will also need the CPU, Power supply & memory that will go with the motherboard. Any suggestions on what I should consider for my upgrade. I want something that
is respectable in comparison to todayÂ’s standards but I donÂ’t want to over do it. I want to spend money wisely for my upgrade. Any suggestions as for a venders to work with that has a good prices and return policy. Any venders that offer good prices.
Thank you,

ATX form factor.
512MB DDR ram
Greater than 2.0GHz cpu (Maybe the Socket)

Maybe if you give us an idea of your budget, and use for the system, we can help you out more.

Newegg or zipzoomfly is some good places

budget, well, I guess something like 200.00-300. I guess. Not fixed on a piticular number as of yet.

well $200-$300 bucks can get you a new motherboard, CPU, aaaaand a 512mb stick of balue ram. You'd have got get about a $75 dollar mobo such as the ABit NF7-S v2 and a $90 chip like the 35w 2400+ XP-M but that combo is for overclockers really....that chip can get up to 3200+ XP speeds and even past it and the 3200+ XP chip is $180. I pushed my $90 chip to 2.4GHz, that's 200MHz faster than the $180 3200+ XP so things like that are something to think about, but really $200-$300 will only get you a couple parts =/

muckmail said:
ok, What if we go higher than the 300.00 limit?
thank you,

I'll be blunt here : How much money are you ready to spead on this upgrade. Computer sales people (such as myself) really don't like it when we have to guess what people are ready to spend.

And with that being sead, it really does help them (the computer sale person) max out the "Bang For Your Buck". Therefore you will be much happier with the computer that you will be walking out with.

yeah, give us a maximum amount. i doubt you are going to do any gaming because your computer specs above arent the greatest, and no where near enough to game. anyway, i think that 400-500 dollars can get u a nice decent upgrade that can last for a long time.

if you plan on any gaming you can get yourself a
Radeon 9600 256mb for 91$ off pricewatch. that should suit you if you want to play some of the latest games but dont mind if you cant count the paint specks on the walls in hl2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom