Graphics Issue - Sudden FPS Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael31191

Solid State Member
Newegg.com - ASUS N70 Series N70SV-X1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9550(2.66GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 640GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M
this is my laptop
asus nseries
intel t9550 dual 2.66ghz
geforce 130m
4gb ram
vista 64

I have had this laptop for a year now and it began doing this about four months ago. When I play CoD MW2 I get good fps for awhile, but after about 30 minutes, my computer suddenly slows way down, and I am stuck with 1-2 fps. Once I manage to maneuver my mouse to the exit to windows button, I continue to have a noticeably slower and choppy performance even just minimizing and maximizing windows. This lasts well after my GPU cools down, and the only thing that fixes it is turning off the computer for about a minute.

I tried installing different graphics drivers, but I figured it was probably a heat issue. I installed speedfan to monitor the temperature and it was getting up to 90 degrees celcius. I bought a laptop cooler and it brought the temperature down about 10 degrees but the problem didn't improve at all, nor does it seem to correlate with the temperature of the graphics card. My card can be at 80 degrees and cause the problem or it can be at 92 and running fine. I have cleaned out the dust and such so I don't see how it could be overheating at this point.

This issue occurs in some games but not others. I have been playing STALKER call of pripyat recently and I can play for hours on high settings with no problem but if I leave it on the loading screen without pressing a key to continue for over 2 minutes it causes the problem and I have to reboot. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this? I also did a memtest but that didnt show any problems.

Make sure you have the latest drivers. Try running HWMonitor to monitor your temps. Speedfan is a bit iffy.

Be sure to watch your CPU heat as well. A GPU has more throttle than a CPU.

MoM is right here. Monitor your temps. Most people overlook the inadequate cooling of a laptop, when wanting to play resource intensive games. I'd say a good 90% of the time, it's usually a heat issue, when it comes to the laptops I help diagnose for speed problems. ****, I have a bad heat issue with my ASUS netbook, it likes to stay in the high 60's most of the time... If you're out of warranty, and know what you're doing, take the back cover off of the laptop, and spray it with compressed air, to get all the dust, and particles out. If you're still under warranty, don't even attempt this, because it may void any active warranties.

I have already taken off the cover and blown compressed air. There was dust but the problem didn't seem to change at all. Is there a way I can underclock my gpu or some kind of voltages to reduce heat? I don't think rivatuner or atitools will underclock my 130gt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom