artic silver increased temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
hey guys,

when i was swapping my computer into my HAF X case, i took the H50 out and cleaned the processor and the heat sink with isoprobal ( < stupid word ) alcohol, and when i put my computer back together i used Artic Silver to put it back on, i used a grain of rice amount and smeared a thin even layer across the processor, and screwed down the H50... now that i have ti all back together, temps are +15C across the board...

why come?

What where you using before the swap? Thermal paste, pads, what brand? What did you use to spread the paste with? Which Artic Silver did you use? The Ceramic or whatever is worthless, and shouldn't be used, IMHO. I don't like AS, but if I have no other choice I use AS5.

when i first installed the H50, i used the thermal compound that was pre applied to the H50. when i was swapping cases i used artic silver 5.

Was it a wax type? Did you touch either surface after cleaning with your fingers? Are you sure there was NO oily residue? AS5 was some of the BEST 5 or so years ago, and many newer ones are similar, but, anyways, you do need to use the instructions given on the AS website for your processor, there are different methods for Intel/AMD, Single/Dual/Quad and for ones with out an IHS.

I just picked up a small syringe of Arctic Silver MX-3 and it is pretty good, just used for my motherboard heatsink so far. The guy working at the store (who is a builder and modder) told me that the thermal tape that corsair uses is the best solution for the h50. Don't know how true that is, or how it would explain your temps going up across your board.

Maybe there are some spots in your case where there is hot air cycling or just lingering. Have you put a second 20cm fan in the top of the case yet? I was thinking of maybe putting my H50 rad/fans in that slot as an exhaust, with a home made duct to direct it's intake from the 5.25" bays. I just can not accept the idea of using that back 140/120mm non filtered vent for an intake.

i havnt reseated it, i heard that there is some curing time... but i dont think i will see a 15°C drop in temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom