Can't install ATI drivers!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigm@tic

In Runtime
I was using 10.5 and went to upgrade to 10.6 but it failed to install the display driver and the HD audio. I rebooted into safe mode, run driver sweeper and drive cleaner.net, manually uninstalled through device manager, CCleaner after everything was gone, tried to go back to 10.5 and keep getting the same fail for installing display driver. This thing is driving me nuts because I've tried countless times with 10.6, 10.5 and even 10.4 with all having the same problem failing to install the driver.

I'm using 5870 crossfired, even tried removing one of the cards and doing the process again and still didn't work, I'm on the verge of having to reinstall windows but such a pain in the *** just for these drivers. Is there anything else I can do to get these drivers installed?

When I tried to install with catalyst it just said install failed, no details.

I ended up reinstalling windows because it was so screwed, tried everything I could think of - just hope it doesn't happen again.

Unpack the files into a location of your choosing. Hit the Win key + Pause key at the same time to bring up the System Properties. Select Device Manager and Navigate to Display adapters. Right click on the Video Device listed and select Update Driver Software. Select Browse my computer for driver software. Select the Browse button and navigate to the location you unpacked the driver to. Windows will be looking for a .inf file and there maybe more than one. Try the 1st one you find and follow the on-screen instructions. Sooner or Later it will ask you to identify your card from a list, if you don't see your card try the other .inf file. Once you get the driver loaded you can installed the Catalyst Control Panel, the control panel setup file should be in the driver files you unpacked.

This will work, I not longer have a ATI card so I can't guide you thru the procedure more precisely, sorry.

Unpack the files into a location of your choosing. Hit the Win key + Pause key at the same time to bring up the System Properties. Select Device Manager and Navigate to Display adapters. Right click on the Video Device listed and select Update Driver Software. Select Browse my computer for driver software. Select the Browse button and navigate to the location you unpacked the driver to. Windows will be looking for a .inf file and there maybe more than one. Try the 1st one you find and follow the on-screen instructions. Sooner or Later it will ask you to identify your card from a list, if you don't see your card try the other .inf file. Once you get the driver loaded you can installed the Catalyst Control Panel, the control panel setup file should be in the driver files you unpacked.

This will work, I not longer have a ATI card so I can't guide you thru the procedure more precisely, sorry.

Thanks man, I'll come back to this if it happens again. Really annoyed with the problem especially since I'm not the only one that's had it, I understand now why ati drivers have a bad rep.

I use a slightly modified version of the method slaymate described for installing drivers.

-Download display driver only from ATI
-Begin installing driver like normal
-The installer should unpack the driver to a standard location C:/ATI/Catalyst 10.6 or something similar for the 10.6 drivers. I don't remember the exact location but the installer tells you so just go to whatever location it lists.
-Start->Control Panel->Device Manager
-Right click on your display adapter and pick "Update driver software"
-Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
-In the box labeled "search for driver software in this location" put the location the ati installer unpacked the drivers to earlier, or use the browse button to select the correct folder.
-Make sure the include subfolders option is checked and hit next
- Windows should install the updated drivers causing you to loose Aero and you display resolution to change temporarily.
-When the process is complete you should be asked to restart your computer.

I don't use Catalyst Control Center as it causes many of the problems that ATI's drivers normally get blamed for. Many times the drivers themselves are rock solid but the same can't be said about Catalyst. That's no big loss though as ATI Tray Tools is an exceptional control center that puts both companies default options to shame.

You can download ATI Tray Tools here.

ATI Tray Tools download from Guru3D.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom