Intel Duo or AMD Quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gs2020

Beta member
First off, I am kind of new at this, but I have been doing my research on Intel, it's AMD I'm more confused about so if you state the obvious you might actually be teaching me something.

I am building a computer and I can't decide which to get the E7500 or the Athlon II X4 535.

If i get the Intel I will get the P43DE, but I haven't chosen a mobo for the Athlon, which is also why I'm coming here.

I am going to use this computer for gaming, and I'm on a strict budget. I am open minded to any suggestions.

Like I said I dont have much figured out for AMD, only the CPU. After looking so much for Intel parts, I got lazy.

This is what I'm planning on building:
CPU- E7500
MOBO- P43DE
PSU - OCZ 700MXSP 700 Watts ModXStream Pro Power Supply
GeForce 9800GTX
Windows XP 64- bit
I already have the ram

First off, I am kind of new at this, but I have been doing my research on Intel, it's AMD I'm more confused about so if you state the obvious you might actually be teaching me something.

I am building a computer and I can't decide which to get the E7500 or the Athlon II X4 535.

If i get the Intel I will get the P43DE, but I haven't chosen a mobo for the Athlon, which is also why I'm coming here.

I am going to use this computer for gaming, and I'm on a strict budget. I am open minded to any suggestions.

Like I said I dont have much figured out for AMD, only the CPU. After looking so much for Intel parts, I got lazy.

This is what I'm planning on building:
CPU- E7500
MOBO- P43DE
PSU - OCZ 700MXSP 700 Watts ModXStream Pro Power Supply
GeForce 9800GTX
Windows XP 64- bit
I already have the ram

How much is your budget directly if it's under 400 or 350.00 for that matter we could build you something something affordable and something that will last a good while.

Start by looking for a AM2+/AM3 socket mobo or single socket AM3 AMD board, they will cost just a tiny bit more but is AMD's current socket.
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785GE AM2+/AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 60.00

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX635WFGIBOX 99.00

Total: 159.00 with free shipping intact.

Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CT25664AA800 48.00

Total now 208.00 total with 0.99 already figured in.

If you add in your own case or buy one and a hdd and power supply you would atleast have 192.00 left over if your going to spend under 400.00.

You don't need a 700W PSU, a 500W will be more than enough.
We can't give you much help without knowing your budget but since you're on a strict budget you should buy a AMD build since it gives you more performance for your money.

My budget is about $400, I am working over the summer so I won't be spending my savings on just a computer. I am getting a HDD for about $50, plus the OS which is about $100, and PSU which is about $80. So that leaves me with $170 for mobo and PCU.

Is there a difference between AM2+/AM3 and AM3?

Also I want everything to be upgradeable, so for example, in a few years I can get a faster CPU for this Mobo. I already have a case, and I will worry about the rest of the parts later, because right now I need help with AMD processor and motherboard. Also it needs to be overclockable. I would like to have ATX, but I will settle for M-ATX. I also need a PCI-E x16 2.0.

Also, I am new to AMD, and do they use differents words for FSP, and how to I know how to get the best performance with ram. Because with intel, if I had 1066 bus speed I knew to get 533 DDR2 Ram.

Thank you guys for the help so far btw.

Also, I calculated everything needed about 600watts total, and the PSU is 700 with %86.

Ok, so I might go with this.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard: A780LM-S

What do you guys think?
Also I'm still confused, but do AMD processors have a lower bus speed? The E7500 had 1066mhz and this one has what appears to be 500mhz. Am I right? If so, is that a big drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom