Advice and help on my first from-scratch computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradS

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I am currently planning on buying a set of computer components for my very first real computer build. I have done things with pre-built computers like installing harddrives, putting in a graphics card, etc. I just need someone's opinion on this build. I have been researching based on price and performance, as well as longevity of the computer. I plan to have this computer for as long as possible. I may overclock when the time comes that I feel I need to.

Here's the build that I am planning on getting:

CPU: Core i7 930

MB: Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard (considering for overclocking potential, cooling components, etc. even with the high price.)

PSU: Corsair HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W (Shows 80 Plus Silver on Newegg, but on 80plus.com, it is a Gold rating, which is awesome. I heard never to skimp on your PSU)

CPU Heatsink: Zalman CNPS 9900 ALED (I like the way it looks with the led and that people say it is extremely quiet. My current desktop is using a stock heatsink that often sounds like a jet engine...)

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 (I think it's like $5 right now on Amazon and I've heard countless good things about it)

CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower Case (I'm pretty much decided on this one for the airflow and the looks.)

Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 HD577AZNFC (I would get something better but I dont want to pay well over $200-$300 or more for a graphics card...)

RAM: Either Corsair Dominator 4GB (2X2 GB) DDR3 1600 OR G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2X2 GB) DDR3 1600 (I'm leaning more towards the G.Skill now that I have done the research. Both have lifetime warranties too.)

I think I covered everything. So what do you think? I have some components that I'm going to be using from my old computer like: DVD Drive, Hard Drive w/ Win 7 32 bit installed, and possibly other misc things like cables, etc.

My budget at the moment is anywhere from $1k to $1.2k. Trying not to get a computer that costs to much due to limited finances right now. I will be getting a big paycheck mid-July so that will help.

I've thought about getting a SSD for like $100 or something but not sure if I want that added expense since I already have an OS activated on my WD Black 750GB HDD. I may someday get one but I'm pretty unsure at the moment...

Any opinions/advice? :)

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I will probably be planning to purchase some of these components at various places like Amazon and eBay in addition to Newegg, whichever has the best price at the time of purchase. For example, ebay has like 8% BCB until the end of this month. If I were to buy something on ebay, I could get that discount plus some of the components here are actually cheaper on some listings on ebay. Amazon also has its perks like free shipping, etc. I may get the case from amazon just for the free shipping; saves me like $20.

A few thoughts:
1 - The I7 930 uses triple channel memory so you should buy modules my multiples of three, 3x1GB, 3x2GB, etc. Corsair is overpriced, I would buy these Newegg.ca - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI Gskill is a great brand and are also CAS7.
2 - You don't need a 850W PSU, a 750W is more than enough, even if you crossfire another 5770 later on.
3 - What's the purpose of the build? If it's for gaming which games are you planning to play? Do you want to run them on which settings? If it's on Very High Settings maybe you should consider on buying a powerful GPU.
4 - Regarding the OS a 32bits will only "see" 3.5GB of RAM, you should buy the 64bits version so you can take advantage of the 6GB RAM. What do you mean you have a OS activated on your current disk? You can reinstall windows on a different disk with no problems.

A few thoughts:
1 - The I7 930 uses triple channel memory so you should buy modules my multiples of three, 3x1GB, 3x2GB, etc. Corsair is overpriced, I would buy these Newegg.ca - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI Gskill is a great brand and are also CAS7.
2 - You don't need a 850W PSU, a 750W is more than enough, even if you crossfire another 5770 later on.
3 - What's the purpose of the build? If it's for gaming which games are you planning to play? Do you want to run them on which settings? If it's on Very High Settings maybe you should consider on buying a powerful GPU.
4 - Regarding the OS a 32bits will only "see" 3.5GB of RAM, you should buy the 64bits version so you can take advantage of the 6GB RAM. What do you mean you have a OS activated on your current disk? You can reinstall windows on a different disk with no problems.

I plan on using this computer for everything from browsing the internet to gaming. I basically want a fast computer that will not hang, etc. I'll be playing mostly World of Warcraft, but I do plan on playing/buying other games eventually. I already have games like Borderlands and Half-Life on Steam. I would like to probably be able to play these games at the highest they can go, but it's not really necessary as long as I get a good frame rate. Also, it's worth mentioning that my monitor is 21.5" and max resolution of 1920 X 1080.

The reason for just 4 GB of RAM is because I only have a 32 bit OS and I dont think I can afford to buy a 64 bit OS unless there is an upgrade option for 32 bit to 64 bit or something. The extra $60 or whatever for that extra 2GB would be just sitting there if I dont buy 64 bit.

I was thinking about the 850w for possible future-proofing the computer. I may plan on overclocking the components and I just wanted to have that for some headroom in the power.

Even for OC and adding a second card later on 750W is more than enough for your build.

Hmm...okay then. If I do get a 750W, then I guess that saves me like $70 so maybe I could use that for a better graphics card. XD

Yep. And if you choose to buy a HD5850 you can still buy another one on the road and crossfire it with that psu.

The reason for just 4 GB of RAM is because I only have a 32 bit OS and I dont think I can afford to buy a 64 bit OS unless there is an upgrade option for 32 bit to 64 bit or something. The extra $60 or whatever for that extra 2GB would be just sitting there if I dont buy 64 bit.

If that is the case then you need to buy a 3GB kit (3x1GB). Because of the "Triple Channel" memory controller a 3GB (3x1GB) kit will out perform a 4GB (2x2GB) kit with the i7 930.

Instead of spending extra cash on a power supply that is more than you need, spend the extra cash on the 64-bit OS. You want future proofing, then buy the 64-bit OS and 6GB of ram.

Your building a new computer that is designed with 64-bit compatible components but your going to future proof it by buying things you don't need and run it with a non-future proof 32-bit OS.

If that is the case then you need to buy a 3GB kit (3x1GB). Because of the "Triple Channel" memory controller a 3GB (3x1GB) kit will out perform a 4GB (2x2GB) kit with the i7 930.

Instead of spending extra cash on a power supply that is more than you need, spend the extra cash on the 64-bit OS. You want future proofing, then buy the 64-bit OS and 6GB of ram.

Your building a new computer that is designed with 64-bit compatible components but your going to future proof it by buying things you don't need and run it with a non-future proof 32-bit OS.

Actually, I bought the 32 bit version as an upgrade from vista with that student deal they had. I wonder if I can somehow get the 64 bit version. Probably not since it was an upgrade and not the retail OS.

If I can't get the 64 bit somehow, I may just get the 3X1 GB or something.

Also, anyone have any opinions on the MB I picked out? I also saw in a video on youtube that the zalman heatsink actually seems to come with arctic silver 5 so maybe I could save $5 or more there...

Don't bother with AS5, there are plenty of other brands of thermal paste that are both cheaper and better. I would also avoid the Zalman cooler as they are extremely expensive considering their mediocre performance.

Which heatsink do you think would be best for the core i7 930 (1366 socket)? I've heard that the Prolimatech Megahalems is one of the best but I'm not sure due to its size..lol

Oh and what other thermal paste is better than AS5?

Edit: ouch that compound has high shipping for such a small unit! lmao Seems like the reviews are good for it...hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom