ok, so I am setting up my external HD, couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangeroo

Baseband Member
ok, I got the external hd enclosure today and just got back from bestbuy with an 80 gig seagate ata drive. I want the external just to be a backup/ more space not as the master. How do i do the jumpers, and anyone have any thoughts on it. What i plan on doing is backing up all my docs and photos and vids then formatCing and reinstalling XP so hopefully PS works. Also, should I set the external to be the scratch disk in PS 7 if I can get it to work.

stangeroo

Thank you for posting this question as am doing the same thing today too. However, mine is a SEAGATE MOMENTUS 40GB UATA100 9.5MM 2.5LP 10MS 5400RPM in a smaller USB / Fireware Enclosure.

IF SOME ONE DOES HAVE A SIMPLER METHOD OF DOING THIS UNDER WINDOWS 98 / XP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Basically what I am doing is slaving the drive in my desktop PC. I will be either FDISKing or using PARTITION MAGIC while this drive is connect on my Desktop PC's IDE Channel.
I sent up BOTH my PARTITION and the FORMAT the drive while it's connected to my PC.
Scanning the Disk for errors is advisable.

And then I put the drive into the enclosure.

And then you should be right to go.
BoxOfTricks.gif

stangeroo said:
How do i do the jumpers, and anyone have any thoughts on it.
Just leave the jumpers on Master or Cable Select. It should not really matter there.

I have a 200Gb Western Digital Caviar in an enclosure. I was able to format and partiton the drive using Patition Magic simply by placing it in the enclosure and hooking it up to my laptop using a USB cable.

A few years ago I bought a usb hard drive enclosure, I stuck an old drive in there. I didnt need jumbers or anything like that. I stuck it in the inclosure, plugged it in and my pc found it. You can format it inside windows. I have switched drives many a time, and have not had any problems. Its not too complicated.

I'll try that out next time I build one. It does sound like it would be a lot less mucking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom