Gaming rig advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbrown37

Solid State Member
So I posted here before asking for some advice on a model I was thinking about buying the Gateway fx6831-01 but was put off when I learned they used a Seagate model that is known for having very bad issues with failing so I decided to keep looking around.

I found this Newegg.com - CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2031 Phenom II X4 965(3.4GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB ATI Radeon HD 5870 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit and then decided to check out the cyberpowerpc site myself and see what I could come up with using their configurators. They computer I keep building using packages is

Case: NZXT M59 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru window

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case. Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

Cooling: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3

Memory: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (A-Data Gaming Series with Heat Spreader)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

PSU: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (The exact hardrive is not specified :/)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B083L 8X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo

Speakers: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

Thermal Display: NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Touch Screen Fan Control & Temperature Display

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network: I didn't choose any of these could someone explain to me what exactly they are/ what they do/ how they help?

One other question I have is; Whenever I use the intel config to build this exact computer except for the mobo/CPU it's more expensive but I notice that the motherboard is: Asus P6T SE and has a triple channel memory architecture.

I can't find any AMD motherboards with a triple memory architecture. Does that mean the DDR3 is not utilized to it's full potential? Please explain and thank you ahead of time for any help!! :]

first of all... highly reccoemdn you stay away from gigabyte products, I have heard to many horror stories, I highly suggest you avoid any gigabyte products, especially mother boards.

second of all... we can build you a better faster computer for cheaper... guaranteed, what is your budget?

third of all, amd cpus dont use triple channel ddr3 ram, intel does. amd uses dual channel ram.

and finally, amd cpus undeniably give you the best bang for your buck, but if you are willing topay the slight premium for intel processors, that would be the better choice. the standard intel i7 quad core processor is faster than AMDs fastest 6 core processor.

Sean, i have been using Gigabyte Motherboards for a very long time. I have overclocked with them, i had one for 5 years but the rest of the pc faild and the Motherboard was the only one left standing (Mother board and GPU actually) They are reliable if you ask me. Unless you can find solid proof that they are bad than please dont go telling people to change their rigs just because they have a VERY HIGH QUALITY gigabyte motherboard. I think you have forgotten that anyone can say ANYTHING on the internet and make people like you believe it. You reall don't know until you have tested it yourself. Ive done that and they are exellent :)

Oh and, Tbrown37, building a pc youself is way way way cheaper tan buying one. Just ask people like Sean and Trotter, they will give you web links and parts lists for you to make life alot easier.

highly reccoemdn you stay away from gigabyte products, I have heard to many horror stories, I highly suggest you avoid any gigabyte products, especially mother boards.
??? Whatchubensmokin? The pecking order goes Gigabyte > Asus > others.

Sean, i have been using Gigabyte Motherboards for a very long time. I have overclocked with them, i had one for 5 years but the rest of the pc faild and the Motherboard was the only one left standing (Mother board and GPU actually) They are reliable if you ask me. Unless you can find solid proof that they are bad than please dont go telling people to change their rigs just because they have a VERY HIGH QUALITY gigabyte motherboard. I think you have forgotten that anyone can say ANYTHING on the internet and make people like you believe it. You reall don't know until you have tested it yourself. Ive done that and they are exellent :)

yea I suppose u are right, the only reviews I have read that convinced me to avoid gigabyte were reviews I read on newegg :/

first of all... highly reccoemdn you stay away from gigabyte products, I have heard to many horror stories, I highly suggest you avoid any gigabyte products, especially mother boards.

second of all... we can build you a better faster computer for cheaper... guaranteed, what is your budget?

third of all, amd cpus dont use triple channel ddr3 ram, intel does. amd uses dual channel ram.

and finally, amd cpus undeniably give you the best bang for your buck, but if you are willing topay the slight premium for intel processors, that would be the better choice. the standard intel i7 quad core processor is faster than AMDs fastest 6 core processor.

Yeah i've done alot of reading about hardware parts, models, how they work I love it all. So i'm no totally in the dark and as far as I can tell for any company is everyone has their horror stories or someone ends up getting a DoA item and post a bad review. Most people who are unpleased are likely to post a review than someone who was pleased. They are too busy enjoying their product. :] My budget is 1600 maybe 1800 but I would like to stay around the 1300-1400$ range to cover for tax/shipping. I am also not going to put my computer together I would prefer to order the best compilation I can build from cyberpower. I plan to put one together on the side after this purchase strictly for fun!

So even though you can get a nice 6 core AMD CPU and DDR3 RAM all the extra channel isn't used?

The computer I build is ~200$ more when I use intel.

So AMD 6 core at 3.2Ghz is slower than Intel i7 quad core (4 virtual core) 860/930 @ 2.8Ghz??? My original plan was to go with Intel but then I thought I really wouldn't notice the difference either way since I will only be doing things such as; Internet, Music, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Diablo 3.

On a note of both CPUs I know that The intel i7 has turbo boost allowing it to OC itself up to 3.4Ghz. I also read a feature the 6 cores have where they sometimes switch off 3 cores to boost the other 3 cores for raw power. In short terms will I notice the difference between the i7 and AMD 1055t 6 core while gaming?

Ddr3 the 3 does not mean it's only for triple channel.

Network thing allows your computer to communicate with the modem, the modem let's you connect to the Internet.

I do not think you will notice any difference between i7 and amd p2 in real world gaming.

So I should just stick with the P2 x6 1055t?

What does the 3 mean then? Compared to things such as; SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3.

And IF i'm going to stay with AMD then should I just get DDR2 RAM instead?

My computer already has internet....hence my posting so what's the point of a network card if you can already connect to the internet....? Cyberpower gives the impression it will boost gaming performance.

Yeah I don't judge any site, product, or manufacturer based on reviews because; people get angry. From my understanding it has to do more with preference and what exact hardware model is being used in a system. Right now i'm using an iBuypower rig I got through newegg that started to BSOD ~8 months after purchase. But it hardly does it and has always ran fine besides occasional BSODs

I'm with Sean, the "pecking order" is Asus, EVGA, MSI and then Gigabyte.
And I have owned several Gigabyte mobo's, I won't say they all died but the ones that didn't die still had on-board devices that died.

DDR is Double Data Rate, DDR2 is the 2nd version of Double Data Rate memory and DDR3 is the 3rd version, etc...

Your computer already has internet because your old mobo has a built-in Network Adapter. If you buy a new mobo it will also come with a built-in Network Card. When you plug your internet cable into the computer you are plugging it into the Network Adapter. If your internet is wireless then the wireless signal is received by the Network Adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom