My first computer. LF suggestions, help, verify compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carson1931

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm looking to put together my first computer, to play games like Diablo 3, WoW, and Final Fantasy 14 when it comes out. I currently only have a laptop, and after running the FF14 benchmark, I came out with roughly 1/3 of the score needed to play the game at the lowest settings. This realization prompted me to start looking at a new computer. I'm an intern at dell over the summer, so I considered using my 17% discount to buy a dell desktop computer, as a starting point to upgrade from. Later however my friend convinced me that building it myself would still be much cheaper. I'm following that path now, but if anybody thinks the original idea would work out better please let me know.

So now for the components I've selected! Being my first computer I feel like I'm still not 100% sure if all these parts are compatible, and I would also like to know if my particular combination has any known issues. I'm working with a budget around 1500$, and would prefer to come in under. I took somewhat of a minimalist approach, trying to put off some costs until later. I really want the option to upgrade to 8 gigs of ram, and crossfire my graphics card once FF14 comes out, and I have some money again.

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Motherboard: Newegg.com - MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Graphics: Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Power Supply: Newegg.com - KINGWIN ABT-730MM 730W ATX 12V Ver.2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
Memory: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
Hard Drive: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Cooling: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler
Monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS MS238H Glossy Black 23" 2ms Ring stand & Ergo-fit LED backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design Built-in Speakers250 cd/m2 10,000,000 :1 (ASCR)
Disk Drive: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu-ray 3D feature Model iHBS112 - Blu-Ray Burners

I can get Windows 7 for free through my school, so thats why you don't see it listed. I've seen the LED monitors at the store, and I'm sold on them. The blue-ray player is important to me because I want to use it to watch movies in my room.

Please let me know if I overlooked anything, or if you have some valuable suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

-Carson

I think I will change to this power supply, based on your recomendation and the fact that it has a combo deal with my memory. Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I was wondering if this motherboard would work with that same set up, because it also has a combo deal, and seems (at least as far as i can tell) to be the same. Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Will 4gb of memory be enough for this computer to acomplish what I want it too?

I look forward to your feedback, thanks for your time!

-Carson

Awesome, thank you fatclown.....
So if gaming only requires 4gb of RAM, what exactly would additional memory acomplish for me? I'm also skeptical on how to configure my BIOS to accept the memory I have selected, because I noticed that 1600 is not in the "Memory Standard" section of that motherboard's tech specs.

I'm also thinking of switching to this monitor because the ring on the origional one makes me nervious, and I like to be able to easily change my viewing angle without stacking up something under the monitor. (I also get 10% off on this monitor, but that just makes up for the fact that I get charged tax...)
Professional P2311H 23 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor Details

If you or anybody else sees an obvious way to upgrade my performance for a small cost, like upgrading one part and downgrading another, please speak up!

Thanks,

Carosn

More than 4 gigs is really only useful for processing large files..... Photoshop, map building in game editors etc.

The BIOS are usually smart enough to switch for you, so don't worry.

Build looks good, with clowns psu update...

I will point out that if your looking to run FF14 the 5770 will probably keep you on the lower side of video settings when running the game from everything I have read / messed with on the benchmark they released. although for the money it is a great card and should run the game fine, just at lower settings

If I add a second 5570 when the game is released and crossfire them, will I be able to push the high end settings?

Also I'm still struggling to decide on a monitor. I'm partial to the high quality, led backlit monitors, but I'm looking to keep my costs down (under 300$ for sure). I really don't want to have a piece of junk that will crap out on me in two years, or a monitor that doesnt have the vivid color I'm looking for. Any suggestions? (I do have a 10% discount for monitors on the dell site)

If I add a second 5570 when the game is released and crossfire them, will I be able to push the high end settings?

Also I'm still struggling to decide on a monitor. I'm partial to the high quality, led backlit monitors, but I'm looking to keep my costs down (under 300$ for sure). I really don't want to have a piece of junk that will crap out on me in two years, or a monitor that doesnt have the vivid color I'm looking for. Any suggestions? (I do have a 10% discount for monitors on the dell site)

I had the same idea and was talked into spending the same ammount of money on one higher end card, I was happy with that choice and would recomend the same to you also depending on budget and how fast you want to have the computer up and running as for monitors, I am just using a basic dell right now only supports 1600x900 im still looking also

and just out of curisoty was there any special reason you went with the amd 1090t over say an i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom