I7 build, looking for input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you probaboy can, I have 2 260s in my 900......

000_0541.jpg

Now get us some internal pics.

I will get some more pictures when I get home from work, the big problem for me is that the 12v power cable for the MB goes near the back of the case so I have wires running over there that look bad, and get in the way of the 2nd video card, I am sure I could make everything fit better If I extended the cables and ran them where they where not in the way.

I built it mainly to play FF14 and just ran the benchmark test for it last night and I blew it away, I think I got a 5700 on it and thats loading off my HDD not the SSD and I still have not gone in to mess with the settings for the memory yet. so needless to say I am very happy with the rig so far

It seems to be running a little hotter then I would have expected it to, but I could be crazy seem to run around 45-49 during idle and under load near 70.

Are you using the stock cooler / heatsink??

yeah, and I live in south texas its about 75 in the house right now which is what like 24C or so

I have just been messing around with stuff I may end up getting some kinda water cooling unit or something in the near future.

I just dont know what hot is under load for the i7's, 70?

ran the prim95 at stock settings and the range is about 80-87

70 is hot but acceptable, under full load my i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz runs up to 75C, I live in Florida and the temperature is about the same as yours and I'm air cooling. A good Heatsink will control your temperature better and allow you to overclock if your interested. You probably won't be able to run as fast as me but I've been doing this for a long time.

I have a few heatsinks for sale if your interested. http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/fs-3-thermalright-ultra-extreme-120-true-232239/

70 is hot but acceptable, under full load my i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz runs up to 75C, I live in Florida and the temperature is about the same as yours and I'm air cooling. A good Heatsink will control your temperature better and allow you to overclock if your interested. You probably won't be able to run as fast as me but I've been doing this for a long time.

I have a few heatsinks for sale if your interested. http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/fs-3-thermalright-ultra-extreme-120-true-232239/

yeah I was just looking into getting an H50 through work (about 50 bucks) I would be interested, but im not sure how that would fit in my case :p (antec 900)

so 80 at full load stock settings and heat sink is probably a bit warm

70C load is pretty normal for an i7 920/930 with the stock heatsink. I have my 930 at 3.0GHz on the stock heatsink and it hovers 70 to 74. I run Folding@Home 24/7 so I only ever see load temps, the i7 is too awesome to waste time idling. I'm not too thrilled with those temps and I'd really like to overclock some more so I plan on buying a better heatsink sometime soon.

I too have the Antec 900, I moved the drive cages up 2 spots so that the front intake fans move air directly over the motherboard rather than wasting it blowing at the PSU. I'm wondering what the best heatsink would be for the 900 or if the H50 is worth it. The problem with the H50 is that you really don't get to take advantage of the top fan, the radiator is designed for a rear 120mm fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom