Gaobot virus and a screwed up system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Beta member
My system is messed up and I could use some adult supervision. I believe I have a Gaobot virus. when I try to scdan my system with Symantec AntiVirus my system crashes. When I scan using an server based scanner my system crashes.

Sound familiar. BTWAre there ant free registry cleaners

Format. That sounds like a bad virus. So I would say that is your best bet

FDISK
FORMAT C:
INSTALL WINDOWS
and Start from Scratch.

That virus wasted 3/4 of my working day yesterday. After apply a few service packs and manually removing the bugger from the system, i found that I would of been a faster just to back up what was important, format the drive and start over.

Gaobot is a real tricky bastard to remove because there is a lot of varients for it.

When you get your system back up and running, apply service pack 2 and update your virus scanner before doing any thing else.

Apart from that. GOOD LUCK.

if he's got XP all he's gotta do is pop in the XP disk and make sure the CD-ROM is first in the boot sequence.

Do you need Service Pack 2 to protect against this virus? I've been holding back updating to it, I noticed a few problems with some games on my second PC which does have SP2.

Harper said:
FDISK
FORMAT C:
INSTALL WINDOWS
and Start from Scratch.

That virus wasted 3/4 of my working day yesterday. After apply a few service packs and manually removing the bugger from the system, i found that I would of been a faster just to back up what was important, format the drive and start over.

Gaobot is a real tricky bastard to remove because there is a lot of varients for it.

When you get your system back up and running, apply service pack 2 and update your virus scanner before doing any thing else.

Apart from that. GOOD LUCK.

i got a friend who refuse to let me show him how to erase a hard drive with an XP disc. he is a stubborn guy who is set in his way and he don't like change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom