Too Much RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
So Im working on this ladys eMachine (I know, I told her).
Its a W3619 with 32bit Vista Home Basic, and came with 512mb of RAM and its max RAM is supposed to be 2GB. Ive noted that she has way over that. Ive never come across "too much RAM". Im usually begging people to get more.
So my question is, What effects will TOO MUCH have on her computer?
Do I need to get her back to 2GB?

What told you that the limit is 2GB? Is she having any "issues" regarding RAM? I've upgraded our work machines to more than their "limit."

eMachines Official Site - - W3619 Product Details

Most any computer's (or motherboard's) Manufacture's Website will tell you the Maximum amount of Ram you can run in your system. Ive just never went over the max, nor do I know what "End of the World" saga is supposed to follow.
As for issues? lol :D As you see in the specs above, this is one piece of...... simply made to trick people into thinking theyre getting Vista at a good deal. I cant believe this thing came with Vista and only 512MB. Its incredibly slow and even after a complete recovery it acts like its just itching to crash.
However, The screen went black as I tried to close a program running in the task bar while I was playing a Divx movie for the first time and Firefox did crash.
The motherboard (supposedly) calls for two 1GB sticks, and what this lady did was buy one 2Gb stick of Kingston 667MHz, and then left in the 512Mb stick in the other slot. (The site specs 512Mb 533MHz Ram, but this is a stick of Samsung 512Mb 333Mhz.)
I went ahead and pulled the old stick, just because of the speed difference. But I havent had it on long enough to tell any real difference.

But Im still wondering about the whole "Too Much RAM" thing. If it doesnt matter if you go over the maximum, then why does every site show a Maximum?

It's possible issues can occur, but not guaranteed.

Agreed, usually the mobo will just ignore the slots with the extra RAM, might give an error on POST.

One 2 GB stick shouldn't be a problem, but it might be worth trying to use two 1GBs, if the mobo manual calls for it, sometimes manufacturers use cheap/wonky parts which can't deal with such magical things as 2gb sticks... :)

No idea why it says a maximum of 2gb is supported.

You are better off with the 512mb in there along with the 2GB. Vista needs all the ram it can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom