EIST stopped working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signalman

Beta member
My system: Core i5-720, not overclocked.

I'm having an unusual issue for which I hope someone may have some input.

Until yesterday, when my cpu was in an idle state, the clock speed and the core voltage would throttle down as expected since I have EIST and c1e active. The multiplier, at idle, was 9X and the cpu clock speed was about 1198 mhz. And, as expected, when the cpu was under a load (running a game, etc) the cpu and the voltage would "throttle up" as needed.

But since yesterday, according to both cpu-z and Everest, at idle, my cpu is running at just under 2800 mhz and the multiplier is 21x (oc'd 4 percent). But my cpu voltage seems to be OK (.984v) which is normal, or slightly high, at idle. It appears that, for whatever reason, EIST and/or c1e are not throttling down the cpu clock speed as it did previously. I checked BIOS and confirmed that EIST is active.

Task manager shows that at idle, the cpu usage is 0-1 percent. My core temps are in the 30s and low 40s (celsius), which is normal for my system. It's just that the cpu clock is running "full-bore" and it shouldn't be when idle.

Is there something else I can check? Thanks for any information.

Bob

Hey I read your post and have a suggestion or a clue that might help.
Even though I am using a AMD system Athlon II X3 system, was there any utilites that may have come with your pc or mobo manufacturer ?
If not do a search on google and bing and see what utilities you can find that can control mobo settings and that EIST feature.
I know that my AMD cool and quite feature is active, whenever I do intensive work it clock up my athlon ii to meet whatever speed I might need.
When I am typing this and have F@H and opera 10.5 going which is too quiet it will leave keep the clock speed between 2.30ghz- 2.80ghz.

Try adjusting your cpu speed to something quite and normal such as 2.50ghz and enable EIST again and see how it it performs, the best way to test if it's working and downclocks is run DVD-HD or blue-ray and see what it does.

Solved the issue. I changed my Windows 7 power scheme to "power saver" mode. Now the CPU clock throttles down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom