Can't POST With GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
So today I did a few things to my PC. Lapped the CPU (before you say anything, this is not the problem), put in a few new fans, couple cable extensions, new cold cathodes, put the Thermalright VRM-R4 on my 5870. So I get it all together, right before I put the panels on and make the last few finishing touches I just plug it in to make sure everything works (fans, power leds, it actually turns on etc.). All hunky dory, finish everything then go to plug everything back in for normal use. Turn it on everything's fine, turn the monitor on, nothing... So I reset the CMOS, make sure all cables are plugged in, make sure monitor cable is in the GPU all the way, even try plugging the monitor just into the motherboard, still nothing. So now I took off the CPU heatsink, made sure the CPU was seated correctly and put the heatsink back on, went and tried again and STILL nothing. Tried unplugging the cold cathodes and taking out the GPU, BAM it posts and boots into Windows. Turn it off and plug the cold cathodes back in, BAM it posts and boots into Windows. Turn it off and put the GPU back in, doesn't post...

WTF is going on? The GPU is seated fully, the power cables are all the way in, it's getting warm when I let it sit trying to get it to POST, so I know it's working. Only thing I haven't tried yet is taking off the 6-pin extensions I put on and trying it right from the regular PSU cable. What else would make it not post with the GPU in? Did I kill it somehow?

Edit: Jumped the gun a bit, I wouldn't say it's not posting, the monitor says ithas no signal, which led me to think that it isn't doing anything at all. I tried with the regular psu cables and it did the same thing. Im thinking i somehow killed the card, but why would it still get warm like it's running normal?

I think the cold cathodes maybe be the problem along with a power supply issue.
How many components can handle while starting up ?
Maybe the cold cathodes and gpu aren't going to fly right as it taking up too much power...
Does your mobo beep, and signal the keyboard letting you know it's trying to power on ?
If your keyboard does not power on and no monitor issue, then yes "it" might be a lack of power to all components.

Even with the cold cathodes unplugged it does it. The keyboard does power on, the lights light up, the monitor just doesn't have a signal then it constantly reboots. Right now the only things plugged in are the mouse, keyboard, monitor to motherboard, and ethernet cable. I'm going to try to disable the motherboard graphics and see what happens.

Edit: Pretty sure the GPU is dead. In the BIOS I set the graphics device order to have the integrated before PCI, with the graphics card still in it booted fine. If PCI is before, integrated, it's trying to use the graphics card, which has to be dead if it's not working. I seriously don't know how it died, all I did was bolt on this: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/vrm/product_vga_cooler_r3_r4.html. Only thing I can think of is it might have bent to far when I was trying to get the 6 pin cables around it when doing wire management. When I look at the PCB I can't see any cracks or anything though.

Does anyone know if XFX still holds the warranty if you use aftermarked heatsinks?

Well then I would double check all the contact points between the circuit chips and the heatsink. And I would check the mounting bolts, if the card in being bowed just ever so slightly it won't work. And if the card is getting "Heavy" from all the heatsinks it could be causing problems, try using something non-conductive to help support the weight.

I took the VRM-4 off to see and it still wouldn't work, pretty confident something went wrong with the card. I opened a support ticket at XFX, the haven't replied to my last message yet.

Every time I've dealt with XFX they were a little slow responding to my 1st post (a day or 2), but after that they moved pretty swiftly. It's been a few years though so maybe they've gotten faster :D

Been over a day since the last reply, I HATE RMA's, always waiting sometime or another on the company... Right now I'd rather just buy a new card than waiting a month for a refurbished one that might blow up who knows when, that's even if they decide to give me a new one once it gets to them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom