Question about current comp problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enix33

Solid State Member
Hey, well to start off I just built this new gaming computer which runs fine and dandy. Well to get to the point, just recently, more like today, I started getting a bunch of critical system errors on my computer. It also keeps making many of the programs on my computer crash like video games, fire fox, adobe reader etc. But this is not the end of it, windows itself is acting funky...by saying my windows is not genuine now.

Now these are just some of the problems, but I also have got the blue screen of death around 3 times in this one day. These problems did not occur before, though I did have windows program problems.

My question is, does this sound like a failing hard drive to you other tech people? I have run diagnostics checks and they say everything is okie dokie except for a few errors that it found but could not fix...I have not changed/edited/downloaded anything lately to cause these problems. So what does this sound like to you? Unknown problem? Hard drive failure? recent google searchers and research have all pointed towards it possibly being the hard drive, but i would like a second opinion.

P.S. The hard drive itself is not new, I have had it for over a year now.

Thanks and any replies will help

Run disk defragmenter and any "System Cleanup" programs you have. Also are you running widows 7? if you are, then microsoft released a stupid update that tries to serach you system for counterfiet software. The porblem is that it sometimes fails and tells you your copy of windows is not genuine. It happened to me. google serach "windows 7 activator" and download it. It will remove the update causing the problem. This happens to a lot of people who have lagitement copies of Windows 7, the activator is not illegal so dont worry.

Alright, so I did the memtest and it found 6 errors but it passed, the times for the sticks were 7/7/7/16. I let it loop for around 3 times and it passed each time. So now i'm wondering what the problem still could be. The BSoD had big letters that said Memory Management.

Also, yea i'm running windows 7 but everything worked fine till yesterday. Then at around 12am on the 27th my computer just started going crazy with program crashes and such. Then the whole windows was not genuine thing popped up. I couldn't have downloaded an update because I have it set that auto updates need my permission to install after download. When it asks me to re-enter my product key it says it's because there was a change in a windows installation file. But it tells me my key is invalid even though I bought this thing retail...

Anyways, so as far as I know 6 errors for memtest but it still passed and I turned on ECC since it was off. Still having troubles and I don't know what's wrong. Any other guesses? I'm thinking it might be a hardware issue? Unless my system/windows went wacky for no reason?

So I looked in my system event log and I found this error MANY times. "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1." Does this mean my hard drive is going out or what?

Sorry for the double post.

According to Microsoft, this error message generally pops up if you're using the DMA (direct memory access) transfer mode, a method of transferring data from a storage device (in this case an ATA66 hard disk) to memory without passing the information through the processor. The problem occurs because ATA66 DMA transfer is not supported by the IDE (integrated drive electronics) controller onboard.
Solution:
To fix this issue Microsoft recommends changing the transfer mode for the controller. To do this right-click My Computer and click Manage. Next double-click System Tools in the right pane and double-click Device Manager. In the right pane, double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and then double-click the correct controller. Find the Transfer Mode box on the Advanced Settings tab and click PIO Only. Finally click OK, close the Computer Management window, and reboot your computer.
Error Message Detail

Also, check the disk for errors.

Well I thank you all for the replies but none of this stuff is helping me pin point the problem or working for that matter. As far as I can tell it can either be, corrupted system files of some sort, a bad hard drive, or my memory is bad. Since diagnostics and memtest said both pass and even though I have encountered times where these tests have said other computers pass and yet not to long after they fail, I might just have to do Trial and Error as I been doing. I'll possibly grab a new hard drive and just back all my data up while the computer is still running at most. If that doesn't work then i'll try my RAM sticks next, and so on.

Anyways thanks guys, but if anyone else would like to contribute help or one of you guys again wish to tell me something else that might work it would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom