Ram Voltage must be obeyed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rJsss

Beta member
Hey guys.

I have been thinking about buying some new ram b/c the ram that I am currently using isn't identical, so I am not able to use my motherboard's dual channel feature. They're 2 sticks of 1GB each, Corsair cas 5, one of them 800mhz, the other 1066 mhz, BUT my system is running at the 800 mhz since that's the lower mhz of them both. In the newegg specs of my motherboard it says that my max voltage for ram is 1.8V. I would like to know if I really HAVE to obey that rule or if it is safe to buy ram running at higher voltages and change the voltage in the motherboard BIOS? What are the risks? etc. I was looking at some ram that is 1066mhz both 2GB, with a cas of 7. I would ideally want something faster than cas7 but with that the Voltages also increase above 1.8 which is why I need to know wether or not it is safe to adjust the voltages in the BIOS.

Here is a link to my Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

And here's a link at the potential ram that I was looking at:

Newegg.com - Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664AA1067

Any help, input, suggestions, or thoughts are highly appreciated! And thanks in advance! :D

go to the gigabyte website and do a search for your motherboard. look for the manual or if you still have it go to page 41 and it will tell you how to get the 1066mhz to work correctly. make sure you only use one stick of ram to start the computer. after adjustments then install the second stick of ram. the memory you choose is the correct voltage.

You have (2) sticks of ram (1) 800 MHz and (1) 1066 MHz and they are both running at 800 MHz. Unless one of the sticks is in the wrong slot they should work in dual channel mode. Don't set both sticks to run at 1066 or the 800 MHz stick will fail (more than likely).

This memory is 1066 MHz and it has faster latencies, only requires 1.8v, it's cheaper and it has cool looking heatspreaders as a bonus :thumbsup:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD

You have (2) sticks of ram (1) 800 MHz and (1) 1066 MHz and they are both running at 800 MHz. Unless one of the sticks is in the wrong slot they should work in dual channel mode. Don't set both sticks to run at 1066 or the 800 MHz stick will fail (more than likely).

This memory is 1066 MHz and it has faster latencies, only requires 1.8v, it's cheaper and it has cool looking heatspreaders as a bonus :thumbsup:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD
First off, thanks for the reply.

Yes. I remember this one. But I had second thoughts about it once I saw the customer reviews. Seems as though a ram stick with that sort of cas latency can usually only run at 2.0 volts+ which is why people are claiming that it isn't running as advertised.

But my main question still remains. Is it possible to set volts supplied by the motherboard higher than the default so that a ram stick that runs only at i.e. 2.1 volts can be used?

Please let me know soon. :)

If you have the option to raise the Voltage higher than Default then yes it is possible. Almost every voltage that can be raised has been on my system, but keep your eyes on your Temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom