Looking to build rig for heavy gaming. Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetJimiTakeOver

Baseband Member
Ok so I have a nice budget (1.7k euro), but I'm obviously looking to spend as little of that as possible.

I'm looking to be able to run the most graphically demanding video games at high/highest settings. Including Crysis/ Crysis 2 etc... if that's even possible for 1.7k. Running Crysis on all high settings is acceptable. But I would obviously like to run it on all very high.

I have a good understanding of how to physically put my rig together once I have all the parts needed. The problem is, I don't have the first idea of what components to actually buy.

Can anyone recommend me a case, CPU, PSU, Graphics Card, RAM configuration, Motherboard, cooling etc. etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have links to sites you would use for purchase as I am unfamiliar with any sites in your neck of the woods.

Would you buy from a UK shop?

Ok so I've done some research and this is the setup I've come up with so far:

Optical Storage: SONY DVD±RW 24x DRU-875S S-ATA
CPU: INTEL CORE I7 930 1366
Motherboard: ASUS SKT-1366 RAMPAGE II GENE
RAM: GEIL 6GB DDR3 1800 TRIPLE CHANNEL
HDD: HITACHI HD SERIAL 1TB
Graphics card: ASUS 1GB RADEON HD 5850 DIRECTCU TOP PCI-E 2.1 HDMI
Sound card: ASUS XONAR DX PCI EXPRESS 1.0 RET
PSU: ANTEC CONTINUOUS POWER CP-1000 1000W
Case: ANTEC CASE MINI P193

Total cost: 1753.79euro

Thoughts/ criticisms of this setup?

My main question is whether the CPU can keep up with the Graphics card performance wise? As in, would I be better off going for a cheaper graphics card for similar performance?

Also wondering if this is a coherent setup? Will the whole thing not work because of one component? ie. Motherboard unable to handle the CPU

If you're not planning to OC, at least you haven't picked any HS, why are you picking a OC enthusiastic mobo?
This one is fine for regular use/medium OC Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

The mobo I suggested already has a soundcard. I would drop the one you picked and see if the one in the mobo satisfies my needs.

You don't need a 1000W PSU. A 750W or 800W will be more than enough.

With the money saved you may be able to squeeze a 5870.

The Asus Rampage is more of a overclocking mobo, so if you want to overclock I would go with the i7 920 as it seems to overclock better for most users. I would stick to DDR3 1600. The mobo has HD Sound built-in, you should try it out before buying a sound card. 1000w power supply is is way more than you need. If you just want more power than get a 750 watt unit as it's still way more than needed. The i7 runs hot, get a Mid-size case as a minimum, a Full Tower is recommended for good ventilation.

You'll want a GTX 480 or an extremely high end ATi Radeon. For the graphics card.
You'll want to use Newegg.

You'll want a GTX 480 or an extremely high end ATi Radeon. For the graphics card.
You'll want to use Newegg.

Seriously?

First you did read he LIVES IN IRLAND, Newegg doesn't ship to there! EDIT -> He seems to have taken that out, but his budget is in euros....

Secondly...... There is like only 3 cards better than a 5850.....

Now, With the changes suggested, you should be able to fit in a 5870 into it.

And no, the 930/920 is one of the top of the line chips, no worries about having to change anything.

btw the 930 is the new version of the 920 with a multipler change from 21x to 22x, to get the slight clock increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom