Will Scythe S-FLEX fans work on a Corsair H50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Just found a great deal on the Scythe S-FLEX "E" versions. Paid under $7 for each one. I would like to attach these to my new Corsair H50 in a push/pull configuration.

I read somewhere that this requires special screws...

Anyone here ever attempt to attach the Scythe S-FLEX's to a Corsair H50?

Also, would 1200 RPM with an Air Flow of 49.0 CFM suffice?

Soar

You won't know how well they'll perform til you try them. Sean replaced the fans on his H50 so I'm sure you can also, maybe he'll post something in a little bit :D

i replaced the stock fans with 110CFM fans in a push pull. i didnt notice any significant drop in temperatures... from my experiences, i would go with as high cfm and as low dba fans as you can find because its not really going to make a difference. i took the scythe fans off and put my blue led fans back on because the scythes were to loud at 38dba.

but i do not reccoemnd 40cfm... thats just not enough air... try to find a minnimum of 60, 70 would be better.

You won't know how well they'll perform til you try them. Sean replaced the fans on his H50 so I'm sure you can also, maybe he'll post something in a little bit :D

i replaced the stock fans with 110CFM fans in a push pull. i didnt notice any significant drop in temperatures... from my experiences, i would go with as high cfm and as low dba fans as you can find because its not really going to make a difference. i took the scythe fans off and put my blue led fans back on because the scythes were to loud at 38dba.

but i do not reccoemnd 40cfm... thats just not enough air... try to find a minnimum of 60, 70 would be better.

Sean and Slay,

Thanks for your input. Well, after reading your posts and others at other sites, I decided to purchase several batches of the "F" model after I already purchased a significant quality of the "E" versions... It will not be a problem because the price was so far below market value [it will be totally easy for me to sell these off].

Here is what I discovered on the specs for each of these:

The stock fan for the Corsair runs at 1700 rpm [I cannot find the CFM ratings of the stock Corair fan anywhere].

Here's the stats on the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21 "E", "F", and "G" respectively:

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan
RPM 1200 RPM
Air Flow 49.0 CFM
Noise Level 20.1dBA

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan
RPM 1600 RPM
Air Flow 63.7 CFM
Noise Level 28.0 dBA

Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm Case Fan
RPM 1900 RPM
Air Flow 75 CFM
Noise Level 35 dBA

I'd like to avoid as much trial and error on this new build as possible...so right now I am thinking that the "E" series at 1200 rpm is definitely not enough air movement across the H50 radiator...

I am thinking I should be fine with the "F" series with 1600 RPM + Air Flow @ 63.7 CFM in a push/pull configuration.

I am shrinking back from using the "G" series because 35 dBA seems just too loud for my preferences and besides, 1900 rpm is above and beyond the call of duty that the Corsair is being marketed at right now...

Most of all, I want to avoid the "jet turbine" syndrome [I recently finished and shipped a "jet turbine" new build to be used 6 degrees from the equator...all five of the 120mm fans were rated at 39+ dBA's and everytime I turned it on it sounded as if I was living next to the runway at LAX]! (Had no choice in that situation due to the maximum $$$ limit on the build price and it had to move enough air in an environment void of A/C).

What are your thoughts on the "F" series push/pull configuration for the Corsair guys?

Soar

PS [BTW, anyone here use these "G's" and if so, are they as exceptionally loud as I suspect]?

I would get the most powerful fans I could find and hook them up to a fan controller (soldering may be required for a professional look). Then you can adjust the fan speed to noise ratio as required for the task at hand.

I would get the most powerful fans I could find and hook them up to a fan controller (soldering may be required for a professional look). Then you can adjust the fan speed to noise ratio as required for the task at hand.

Slay, I never would have thought of that in a million years...now I wish I had asked you before I pulled the trigger on those Scythe S-FLEX fans. Well, now I am considering selling the Scythe S-FLEX fans and using the proceeds to go with a higher end set of fans [the prices on the Scythe S-FLEX fans were low enough to give me a sizable margin. I should be able make some extra cash on em'].

Funny thing is, I was in Frys looking at fan controllers this morning and I was comparing them to the fan controllers and LCD temp displays I saw online at Frozen CPU.

Soldering is no problem...I was really into the Heathkit's back in the 70's. Some of those kits required lots and lots of soldering [esp. the remote control transmitters, receivers, servos, etc. and that is how i learned to do it].

Thanks for your excellent advice.

Now I expect several people to recommend the Noctua fans! Their website is recommending the NF-P12 for the application I am requiring...Here is what they say: Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

We principally recommend the NF-P12 for the following applications:

* CPU coolers with tight fin-spacing
* Water-cooling radiators with tight fin-spacing
* Power supplies
* Storage solutions
* Cases with very restrictive fan grills and filters
* All applications with significant obstruction to airflow

Soar

Slays idea is gold ( as are most of his ideas ). you can get a nice fan controller for cheap and fine tune the cfm - dba ratio to meet your specifications perfectly, i can sell you my 2 110 cfm scythe fans if you want. you live in sacrimento, so shippping would be super cheap. just an idea. the main reason i went back to the fans im using now and ditched the scythes are because they arnt blue LED fans, i saw a 2°C temp drop using these fans over the 78cfm fans im using. just lemme know.

either way, anything you do is going to be better than the stcok fan that comes with the H50.

I would skip the Noctua fans, there good at being quiet but the airflow claims just don't stand up.

Slays idea is gold ( as are most of his ideas ). you can get a nice fan controller for cheap and fine tune the cfm - dba ratio to meet your specifications perfectly, i can sell you my 2 110 cfm scythe fans if you want. you live in sacrimento, so shippping would be super cheap. just an idea. the main reason i went back to the fans im using now and ditched the scythes are because they arnt blue LED fans, i saw a 2°C temp drop using these fans over the 78cfm fans im using. just lemme know.

either way, anything you do is going to be better than the stcok fan that comes with the H50.

Sean,

Thanks for the offer. Well, how many hours did you put on the 110 cfm scythe fans, how much were they retail, and how much are you asking for them and how much shipping?

Thanks,

Soar

i used them for maybe 4 hours... i bought them for $11 each plus shipping, i think i paid $36 shipped to my door. so i would do $15 plus shipping... if thats good you can give me your zip code and i will see how much it would cost to ship them to you...

lemme know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom