Bachelors and Associates, A+. where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPurpleRT

Baseband Member
Good evening fellas,

I'm not a huge poster, more of a reader. This reading has led me to believe you guys are in the know not just on computers and technology, but the industry around it. I am basically at a crossroads.

Long story short I had an interview at the local Health Dept. for an IS Manager. It seemed tailor made for me in my own mind. I made it through the cuts at the state capitol and those at the local level and got my interview, but didn't get the job. I won't lie, I was, and still slightly am, heavily disheartened and disappointed.

It did get me thinking though, that maybe I need to do more education/trailing wise. Let me give you a run-down of my current situation. I am 26 and getting married Saturday (yes, this does make income needs jump at you, doesn't it?). Here's my education, training, and relative work experience:

-Been working with computers since I was 10, always had a nack for them.

-I have an AAS in Information Technology

-Took and passed all Cisco-adminstered CCNA courses but for some reason I SWEAR I cannot recall, I did not take the exam!

-I have an A+ Computer Tech certification

-I have a BA in Business Administration - Management of Information Systems

-I have worked 5 years at a local multi-state ISP. I am a Senior Technician and up for a Supervisor position (would've had this years ago but kept my focus on school until it was complete)

-Worked at phone tech call centers elsewhere including for MSN prior to that.

Where now? I am thinking of going for an MSCE (at least making it to MSCA level). I am considering though, if I should first crash-course myself on the CCNA and get that, then start on the MS track? What about a Network+, any use there?

Beyond that, I have also considered getting a Master's degree but would really like tow ait a couple of years for that as my fiance will be going to UK for her final years on here scholarship in 2 years so I'd "be right there".

Advice?

While not getting the job really hit me hard, I guess it's kind of resparked me too. Just not sure where to go from here.....

TIA,

Ryan

You just have to keep on applying for positions. To be honest, you really need to work on getting that Supervisors Promotion.

At 26 your still a "young" man, a year or 2 of Supervisory Experience will go a long ways in advancing your career. It can be the deal breaker as nowadays a College Degree is very common.

Oh I am, but management here is.... flaky.... It's down to me and one other person, and I have seniority, he has no training or certs, no formal education, and is prone to angry outbursts.

The decision was suppose to be made at the beginning of May, so.....

You can get your CCNA but with Cisco, I believe you have to renew your certification every three years.

If you want to work in a MS-based environment then I would recommend getting MSCE. Begin with the MCP then MCSA and MCSE.

Yeah, the only reason I was considering the CCNA is I took the 2 years of CCNA courses as part of my associates degree Cisco administers to train you to take the CCNA.

What MS certificate comes first?

MCP is the first.
MCP is a certification in WIndows. Now it would be taking an exam on Windows 7.

MCSA is second.
The MCSA is for Windows Server 2008. It covers the server itself, not going into specifics about add-ons

MCSE is the third
MCSE will allow you to pick a specialization like Exchange or .NET and such.

You can also get MCSE+I. The I is an extra certification for Internet Explorer.

I looked on MS Certification website and it seems those are all retired now. Looks like MCSE is MCITP now but what are the equivalent to the others?

It's a bit confusing with the name changing.

I don't bother with the names. I took all the training for the MSCE for Windows Server 2003. My business parter is certified. I don't worry about it.

BUT

as a recruiter and manager. I recommend not only having certifications but being able to use the knowledge in the books and put it hands on. That means alot of Test Labs and forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom