Old 1366 or new 1566???

Status
Not open for further replies.

EoADark

Baseband Member
Hey, I am having a tough time here deciding on what version of i7's to go with.
Right now I am deciding whether I should get the i7 920 with an X58 and Triple Channel DDR3 or if I should get a P55 with an i7 860 and Dual Channel DDR3. I am really leaning towards the P55 because when they do make newer processors they won't be 1366 sockets so I won't have to upgrade motherboards again since I will already have a 1566. Also I do not want to pay the extra 100-150 for the triple channel RAM.
Just trying to get a few responses to see what is the best choice.

P.S. No matter the price or it being an X58 OR P55 I WILL NOT get anything other than an EVGA board.

Actually the socket 1366, despite of being older, is the is the top of the line socket of Intel and the new top of the line processors are going to be released for this socket, take the example of the i7 980X.
The socket 1156 is newer but it's meant to be a mid range socket. supporting mid range processors.

If I were you I would get the I7 920 without thinking twice.

Hey, I am having a tough time here deciding on what version of i7's to go with.
Right now I am deciding whether I should get the i7 920 with an X58 and Triple Channel DDR3 or if I should get a P55 with an i7 860 and Dual Channel DDR3. I am really leaning towards the P55 because when they do make newer processors they won't be 1366 sockets so I won't have to upgrade motherboards again since I will already have a 1566. Also I do not want to pay the extra 100-150 for the triple channel RAM.
Just trying to get a few responses to see what is the best choice.

P.S. No matter the price or it being an X58 OR P55 I WILL NOT get anything other than an EVGA board.

Is the title a misprint? I didn't think there was a 1566 socket. The i7 860 uses the 1156 socket. Am I missing something here?

Re: Old 1366 or new 1156???

Alright guys thanks for the info and yeah i was typing the title to fast I guess and didn't notice.
I just don't want to pay the extra for the ram.
and if you could what is some good triple channel ram for an X58 that won't run me dry.

1366, 1156 same difference

Yeah exactly. Im sufficiently ****ed if thats the case.

EDIT: Just researched. And yep. LGA1366 and 1156 are obsolete as of Q1 of next year (only 6 months away remember to Q1).

might as well go for 1366 for more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom