Old computer, new parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainaaa93

Solid State Member
I can take a computer apart.. but.. I can't put it back together.. and I'm decent when it comes to computers in general but the one I'm using now is a piece of crap. I'd rather not spend like, an arm and a leg to get a new computer so I was just gonna buy some parts for it. Probably gonna have someone put it all together, but I don't know what parts are compatible with my computer. Could anybody tell me what I should be looking for?

Right now, I have 100gb. I made another partition with 10gigs for my music which is already full, I've got 75.38gigs left on my C:\ from movies and what not.
1.10Ghz, 768Mb RAM, AMD Athlon Processor.
MAXTOR STM3120814A Harddrive.
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 display, Creative Sound Blaster PCI audio.
Compaq computer.
It's pretty **** old. =/
Windows XP 2002 with SP3.

I wanted to get atleast a 320gb-500gb harddrive.
3 or 4 gigs of ram, 2.2+ghz with windows 7.
and a new sound card and whatnot.
oh, and a new fan possibly.

What's your budget, mate?

Upgrading that rig would be pointless. Heck, it's worse than my wife's... she at least has a 1.6GHz Athlon 2000+. Unless I am mistaken you have a Thunderbird socket A, circa. 2000. It wouldn't take much to outperform that. Even today's lowest end stuff would do it easily.

Eh. I mean, I've looked at buying a computer fully put together as compared to assembling one yourself. I found assembling one is just a tad bit pricier, but has better parts [since you're choosing them yourself]. I'd rather not go over probably.. $500-$600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom