Bad CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will check the socket pins.

I also think that I might have unplugged something, I will check that again. I figured if it was the PSU, it would have came on for a split second or I would have heard something.

How do you check the PSU with a paper clip? I know you have to connect two of the wires but which two? If the fans come on, does that mean the PSU is okay? Is it possible for the PSU to be able to power just the fans but not have enough juice for the whole system?

You can't check the Power Supply with just a paper clip. The paper clip method just allows the Power Supply to turn on without being attached to the computer. And then you could check all of the Voltages with a Multimeter but that still doesn't mean anything as the Outputs can change dramatically when their placed under a Load.

No, the Power Supply can still be bad even if a fan spins.

Yes, it is more than possible that the PSU can power up a fan but not have enough juice for the whole system.

You can turn on an ATX PSU by shorting the green wire to any black wire with a wire or paper clip. This ensures that the PSU is working at least enough to turn on. Then you can use a multimeter (voltmeter) to check voltages on the +5V (red), +12V (yellow), +3.3V (orange), and other output lines to make sure they are around the rated levels.

However, the multimeter is a very small load and won't draw any significant amount of current, so the voltages you are getting are for an unloaded PSU. What you can do is hook up old hard drives and other stuff to the PSU and then measure the voltages to get a more accurate reading of how the PSU acts under load.

You could even just leave the PSU plugged into the PC and use a spare 4-pin connector to test +5 and +12, this should give the most accurate reading as the PSU will be under full load when the PC is all hooked up.

You can turn on an ATX PSU by shorting the green wire to any black wire with a wire or paper clip. This ensures that the PSU is working at least enough to turn on. Then you can use a multimeter (voltmeter) to check voltages on the +5V (red), +12V (yellow), +3.3V (orange), and other output lines to make sure they are around the rated levels.

However, the multimeter is a very small load and won't draw any significant amount of current, so the voltages you are getting are for an unloaded PSU. What you can do is hook up old hard drives and other stuff to the PSU and then measure the voltages to get a more accurate reading of how the PSU acts under load.

You could even just leave the PSU plugged into the PC and use a spare 4-pin connector to test +5 and +12, this should give the most accurate reading as the PSU will be under full load when the PC is all hooked up.

How do you use a voltmeter to check the voltages? Where do you hook the positive and ground cable up to?

I just shorted the green and black wire with a paper clip with everything plugged in and both fans came on, the psu fan and the case fan.

The problem with leaving the PSU plugged into the pc is it will not do anything when it is plugged in.

I do not have a yellow wire on mine. How do I check for +12volts?

Am I supposed to be checking the volt readings on the main 24 pin connector or the 4 pin connectors?

I just checked the +12 volt reading through one of the 4 pin connectors with a paper clip in the 24 pin connector and I was getting about 12 volts on the yellow wire and 5 volts on the red wire. I know this is not being checked under load but does this mean that something else is wrong?

This might be a stupid question but while testing the PSU with a paper clip, should the video card fan come on? I am guessing not since it is not getting enough power with the 24 pin connector unplugged even though the card has a 6 pin plug connected to it.

If you have it all plugged in, why not just test with the system on under load?

You didn't even read 1 link from the google search I posted.... As it would've answer all your questions.

If you have the 6 pin in the gpu, it'd stand to reason the fan would go on, as most power for the gpu is feed via the pci-e cable.

If you have it all plugged in, why not just test with the system on under load?

You didn't even read 1 link from the google search I posted.... As it would've answer all your questions.

If you have the 6 pin in the gpu, it'd stand to reason the fan would go on, as most power for the gpu is feed via the pci-e cable.

The reason I can't test the system under load is because when I plug the 24 pin connector into the mobo, it will not do anything when I hit the power button. What I meant by having everything plugged in was with the 24 pin unplugged, everything else was plugged in except for the dvd drives when it was tested.

Yes I did read a link or two from the google search you posted.

So the fan is not coming on the video card. Does that mean there is something wrong with the PSU?

Tell me if this makes sense. If I unplug the 6 pin power cable for the video card, the cpu fan does not come on but I can hear the hard drives spin up so I know it was working. I have to have the 6 pin power cable plugged in for the cpu fan to work. Why is that?

EDIT: I got the computer to come on. Honestly I don't know what I did. But I am still having problems. During boot up, I get the Floppy diskette seek error and I hit f1 to continue. As soon as it gets to the Windows loading screen, it restarts. It never makes it any further. BTW, I do have the Pentium D installed.

Okay, I think I miss interpurated you gpu issue, and i think the whole symptoms...

No, I think the gpu fan is turned on via the gpu being told to turn on by the bios.

So no, the fan shouldn't be running.

Can you boot into the BIOS? that'd be your best chance at a load measuremednt via a 4 pin molex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom