Good size power supply for i7 920?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarAteMyMoney

Solid State Member
What's up everyone
Didnt really find what I was looking for with search, so here goes

I have a Dell studio xps with an i7 920... the factory power supply is I think 350 watts

the video card is a radeon 4850

is this power supply limiting my performance at all?

I wouldn't say it's limiting your performance for the components you have right now. But if your Dell motherboard had a few overclocking features in the bios it would limit your overclock. And it is a limiting factor if you'd like to upgrade the video or even adding another drive or 2. It could even pose a problem if you tried to buy more memory but I doubt it.

yeah it's definitely a 360 watt, i just took a look

i believe it's the studio xps 435, it's about a year and 3 months old

i was reading something about turbo boost where the CPU can kick it up a notch when the power is available, but i don't see that happening with a 360 watt

i was thinking of upgrading the video card but there's no way i could do that and not do the power supply at the same time

what kind of cards are a noticeable difference from the radeon 4850 and don't use up a ton of power?

The 4850 is a good card. You could always overclock it and squeeze more out of it. ;)

Quite a bit. see the difference between the orange and red lines
hd4800perf_1280.gif

I wouldn't go with Intel, personally. If you want a much faster processor, go with AMD. They have a 2.8GHz six core processor for $199.99 on Newegg and a 3.2GHz six core processor for $295.99 on Newegg.

Also, according to newegg, they use fewer watts than the Intel i7 processors, too, even the one you said you were getting. However, if you are getting an AMD processor, it is likely you will have to find a different motherboard if the motherboard you have in mind is not compatible with AMD processors.

i already have the computer, i've had it for over a year, i don't think i'm going to need a processor upgrade for a long time but a little more video power wouldnt hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom