Socket 754 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
So I've been doing some research and I think I want to do a processor upgrade from my Sempron 3000+. So far I think the best socket 754 cpu there is would be the AMD Athlon 2.6g Turion (mobile) PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. Now would going with a mobile cpu hurt me performance wise and would i need a new heatsink? Is there a better cpu for 754 socket?

I recommend you look into this chip:
Athlon 64 3700+ ADA3700AEP5AR (desktop)

The one that you posted is for mobile laptop mobo's and that could some issues when using a mobile cpu on a desktop, I've seen people do this before to intel desktop mobo's using a mobile cpu and ruin their machine completely.

Also have you thought about going to a socket AM2+/AM3 build ?
It is more widely supported and you won't be so limited on cpu or mobo upgrades.
****, for under 400 dollars you could build a good tri-core or low end quad core machine.

I recommend you look into this chip:
Athlon 64 3700+ ADA3700AEP5AR (desktop)

The one that you posted is for mobile laptop mobo's and that could some issues when using a mobile cpu on a desktop, I've seen people do this before to intel desktop mobo's using a mobile cpu and ruin their machine completely.

Also have you thought about going to a socket AM2+/AM3 build ?
It is more widely supported and you won't be so limited on cpu or mobo upgrades.
****, for under 400 dollars you could build a good tri-core or low end quad core machine.

Well thats good to know I dont want to ruin my machine. I'll have to look into that one.

I do want to build something newer soon this is just for now because its cheap and I have almost no budget at the moment.

Don't put ANY money into that rig, man. It is a money pit with no return for the investment. Seriously. Unless someone gives you the CPU and/or RAM, don't even bother. The tech in it is even older than mine.

If you can scrape up anything we will see what we can find for you.

Here's a decent upgrade for $140:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX250OCGQBOX
$62

Newegg.com - Foxconn A74ML-K AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$40

Newegg.com - PQI TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400-2GDB
$38

Don't put ANY money into that rig, man. It is a money pit with no return for the investment. Seriously. Unless someone gives you the CPU and/or RAM, don't even bother. The tech in it is even older than mine.

If you can scrape up anything we will see what we can find for you.

Here's a decent upgrade for $140:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX250OCGQBOX
$62

Newegg.com - Foxconn A74ML-K AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$40

Newegg.com - PQI TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400-2GDB
$38

I've been in denial about how much i put into it and how little it does.:cry:
Well I'd atleast like to keep the good stuff off my rig like my hd, gpu, sound card, and psu.

I've got a new Seagate barracuda, a new Nvidia 210, and a new Logisys 480w PSU (not the best psu but I don't plan on maxxing it out)
All of which was free:thumbsup:

but thanks trotter that would work very well considering I was leaning towards an athlon II for my next build anyway.

I appreciate any suggestions on a new cheap but good rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom