BUILDING MY FIRST GAMING PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note.... Your original mobo was an AM3 board.... It can not be used on an intel chip like the i7s

So no matter what, you had to change it. Just thought I'd let you know for next time, as no one pointed out.

Ok, Here we go.
Thanks to Sean, Muffin and Trotter, I have revised a new list.
Note that this is not set in stone. Not until I get my Financial Aid returns (which will be soon).

[[CASE]]: COOLER MASTER HAF X
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

[[MOTHERBOARD]]: ASUS P6X58D Premium (I stuck with the Premium because I plan on upgrading later and I'm told it makes sense to buy more than one currently needs. However, you might have meant it is basically the same thing.)
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

[[GRAPHICS CARD]]: XFX Radeon HD 5870 1G (thanks for the advice here!)
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

[[MEMORY]]: Ripjaws series 6g 3x2G (Thanks Muffin!!!)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

[[POWER SUPPLY]]: Rosewill 1000W (same thing as with the motherboard, Muffin. I'm also told 1000W can support more for future upgrades and the price is only $20 difference. Again, you could still convince me if this information is wrong.)
Newegg.com - Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,ATX12V v2.3/ EPS12V,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

[[PROCESSOR]]: Intel Core i7 920
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

[[HARD DRIVE]]: Wester Digital 1TB 6.0GB/s 3.5" (any comments on this? compatibility?)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

[[DISK DRIVE]]: LG Blu-Ray disk combo (WT* is lightscribe?)
Newegg.com - LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Combo Model CH10LS20 R LightScribe Support

[[CPU COOLER]]: Noctua 120mm & 140mm
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

----So that's 9 things
>CASE
>MOTHERBOARD
>GRAPHICS CARD
>MEMORY
>POWER SUPPLY
>PROCESSOR
>HARD DRIVE
>DISK DRIVE
>CPU COOLER

-----Am I missing anything? How do these parts look now? Is everything compatible? From what I saw, they are. But I don't trust my lone judgment. THANKS SO FAR AND THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!!!

I would stick with the Corsair. 850W is more than enough for future upgrades and Corsair is one of the best brands.
The HDD you've pick is very good. I've been using WD for some years and never had a problem.
And unless you're planning on doing extreme overclocking pick the board muffin said. Both boards have the same features, the difference is that the extreme is made with components of higher quality that's why it's great for extreme overclocking. If you're planning on doing a medium overclock save $60 and get the P6X58D-E LGA.

Ok. Thanks, farinha. I think that is enough to convince me right there. I'll switch to the 850w corsair and the nonpremium motherboard. Would this setup run crysis at full settings? The reason I ask isn't because I play crysis but because I hear it is the most demanding game.

Ha, that's what I'm going for. Any estimates as to how long a system like this will last without needing upgrades? Or even with upgrades?

My next concern will be games :)
Currently I only play HoN (Heroes of Newerth) because my virus plauged computer cannot support much else. I plan on picking up a plethora of games. Suggestions would be nice as I have been out of the gaming loop for a while.

this will be a solid build for about 3 years, and probably will be able to keep up for another 2 after that, then it will be completely obsolete... sucky i know :/

and as for games...

-Crysis ( because its fun to watch your computer make Crysis whine like a little ***** )
-Crysis Warhead ( see above reason )
-Crysis 2, because you can play it ( at maxed settings )
-Battle field bad company 2 because it has stellar graphics and physics
-call of duty modern warfare ( becase you will be able to run it at 230+fps )
-Call of duty modern warfare 2 ( for the same reason as the first )
- Far Cry 2 ( because you can run it at maxed settings, although im very dissapointed with this game )
- Grand Theft Auto IV ( for the same reason as Crysis )
- Battle field 2 ( because its an awesome game )
- battle Field 1942 ( because its my favorite game of all time )
- Battle field Vietnam ( because its a bad *** game )
- Fall Out 3 ( because it is arguable the best game ever )
-Fall Out New Vegas ( because its the sequel to arguably the best game ever )

:D

I can second Bad Company 2 and Fallout 3. Battlefield 2 is a great game but it is rather long in the tooth nowadays, and 1942 and Vietnam are way older. The upcoming BC2 expansion Vietnam looks to be awesome, though. I never cared for the COD titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom