$1000 Dollar Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not.... I don't know much about motherboards, as in whats quality and whats crap... I was more asking Slay about it, then really stating about it.

Oh okay.

I downgraded the RAM to only 4gb (the same kind though). I can always simply buy more of needed in the future. Would you recommend buying a small SSD for just Windows/the video currently being rendered?

While an SSD would be nice, there expensive and if you have the extra cash, you would be better off buying more ram for what you plan on using the computer for.

The AMD system runs it's memory in a Dual Channel configuration so you want to buy pairs of memory as in, 2GB (2x1GB), 4GB (2x2GB), 8GB (2x4GB). But the mobo has (2) pairs of memory slots (4 slots total) so you can run (2) sets of memory as in, 4GB (4x1GB), 8GB (4x2GB) or 16GB (4x4GB).

The Intel i7 run's it's memory in a Triple Channel configuration so you buy memory in sets of 3 as in, 3GB (3x1GB), 6GB (3x2GB) or 12GB (3x4GB). But the mobo has (2) sets of memory slots (6 slots total) so you can run 2 sets of memory as in, 6GB (6x1GB), 12GB (6x2GB) or 24GB (6x4GB).

If I have time later I pick out some parts for a i7 system.

Thanks Slay! Your amazing! I understand now, but from what I have read, RAM isnt a big deal in what Im looking at, could you explain the importance of RAM? Not calling you wrong...im just a noob.

You said occasional gaming so I'm assuming you'll be using this as more of a Workstation. You also said Multitasking so that means multiple programs may be using your memory. Plus your 15 so that means you'll probably start with Video Rendering and move on to Video Editing or other endeavors that deal with bigger and bigger files that want to reside in your memory.

I may be assuming to much, but unless your wanting to push for a Super Overclock the more memory the better. The Memory Controller is built into the cpu so if you populate all the Memory Slots your putting more of a workload on the Controller. And since the Controller is built into the cpu, the additional workload results in more heat to the cpu. I have (2) i7 920 systems, (1) has 6GB and it runs at 4.2GHz, the other has 12GB and runs at 4.0GHz. Before I put the additional 6GB in system 2 it also ran at 4.2GHz but I had to downclock it because of the extra heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom