Status
Not open for further replies.

roig12

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I've had a problem that my monitor didn't turn on when i turned on the
computer.

After trying another graphics card, relocating and cleaning all the slots
and the whole computer from the inside, nothing helped.

I was told to try to clear the CMOS with the jumper on the mother
board and relocating the jumper to where it was after 20 seconds.
(i didn't turn on the computer when the jumper was in the clear position).

Now the monitor lights up and gives me one beep and after a few
seconds of running things up it says that i need to reconfigure the CPU setting in the CMOS.

So i press DEL to enter the BIOS setup and after a few seconds in the blue screen of the bios, everything freezes.
Worst is that it now gets stuck even before i enter the BIOS and i see the first screen that lights up when i turn on the computer but with
weird pixel chips on the screen and half letters thrown around the screen.

Im running a 3ghz intel pentium 4 with a gigabyte mother board (i can
check the model if its important).

What could it be?

Regards,
Roi.

I think it is your hard drive. It is simply detecting it wrong. Could be your memory too, but take the cable off your hard drive and see if anything improves.

More bad news after further attempts to give life to my dying computer:

I managed to check the BIOS for the cpu temp and i got 55C which from what i know is ok.

I tried all sorts of stuff with the memory, hard drive, disconnecting everything and reconnecting, clearing the cmos again, and this is what i got:

At a certain point my computer again didn't wake up the monitor when i pressed the power button, so after many variations of everything on the computer, i removed the processor and reattached it, and it gave me about two or three times of starting the computer WITH the monitor.

So when the monitor was on i got to a point on the system loading right on the start where it tells me that there is a cmos error, and one time it says that there is a cmos battery error (tried to replace it already with a new one) and stuff like that.

So anyway i got to a point one time when the windows was starting to load and right before i got to the desktop i got a black screen.

One time i managed to get to the desktop and everything was ok like nothing happened, but after about 10 minutes on the desktop (not touching anything) i got a black screen again.

I have no idea what it could be.

Any ideas?

I don't know if your using windows xp or vista but it could be this:

When you try to start Windows XP, the computer may appear to stop responding (hang) with an empty, black screen immediately after the power-on self test (POST) is complete and before the Windows XP logo typically appears on the screen.
Back to the top
CAUSEThis issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true: Cause 1This iss...This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
Cause 1
This issue may occur if you have a CD, a DVD or a floppy disk in your CD, DVD, or floppy drive when you start the computer.
Cause 2
This issue occurs if one or more of the following elements are corrupted and will not load during the boot sequence of the computer:
Master boot record
Partition tables
Boot sector
NTLDR file
Back to the top

Also I know you don't want to hear this right about now, but maybe it's time give up on that pc.
If it's cause that many problems like you stated, then I would move on to building a new pc.
Heck, if your HDD, CD-DVD drive and maybe your case is usable if ATX standard for building pc's then maybe you need to build a new pc.

If your budget for a new pc can be under 600.00 I'm sure we could give you a list for a MUCH better pc.
Even though I just installed a new mobo last week, and it finally stopped giving me a **** upon start up it's great pc under 490.00.

If your looking for something to hold you over until the beginning november go ahead and look into a LGA 775 socket build.
It will only require atleast 250.00 depending on your needs, even the celeron dual core 3300 is something that will last, take it from a guy who like's LGA celeron's as they have never given me problems.

Yes it's XP and i know about the thing with the black screen before
the windows loads, it's not that.

It also isn't the boot sequence, it stops much earlier.

The speed and everything was geat until it broke, it's a simple computer for my wife to use the internet and print her documents.

It's just that i didn't want to give up and feel that i don't know how
to handle the issue, but since i know its for sure the motherboard
or the processor, i will most likely get different ones from a few friends
(about 60 bucks for the same models which worked great until now).

Thanks for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom