Turn on AHCI for SSD or not? And if so, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hey,

I now have all the components for my new build. I have been reading lots and lots of posts about SSD's. The large majority of the posts recommend turning on the AHCI prior to installing the OS. Some post suggest using the IDE mode. I am not sure who to believe on this...

Can someone here shed some light on this issue for me?

Also, when I opened up Integrated Peripherals in the BIOS, I noticed three separate areas available for adjustment in the BIOS for altering AHCI modes....can someone here help me know how to set this baby up please?

Here are the three areas available for adjustment in the BIOS I found in my old MB [I have not fired up my new MB yet]:

1] SATA RAID/AHCI Mode
a] Diabled
b] RAID
c] AHCI

2] ONBOARD SATA/IDE DEVICE

3] ONBOARD SATA/IDE CTRL MODE
a] IDE
b] AHCI
c] RAID/IDE

The options in these three areas are very clear....but I am confused as to how to set each option...

Can someone here help me please?

Here are the components for my new system build:

Intel i5-750
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/64GB
Western Digital 640 GB Black edition
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL7D
Enermax Infiniti Ein720AWT 720W Modular PSU
Cool Master Sniper Black Edition
Galaxy 250 GTS
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

If there is any other info you need from me that might help in giving some good advice, please let me know.

Thanks,

Soar

I had my drive set to IDE the 1st time I installed Windows 7. Of course I had to try AHCI mode to see if there was a difference. AHCI mode increased my score by a pretty good bit in the AS SSD Benchmark thread.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/ssd-hdd-benchmark-thread-226468/

I just selected AHCI mode in the bios and installed Windows 7.

Thanks for the reply Slay.

Ok, but I found 3, yes three different options in the BIOS that addresses the AHCI modes.

Can you explain to me which of the 3 [or all 3?] options you adjusted?

I listed the 3 options in my post above...

Soar

Your new mobo won't be like that
It should just have a 'drive configuration' area, and inside that you can select IDE, RAID, or AHCI mode. I'll post up a pic of my bios when I get home.

Your new mobo won't be like that
It should just have a 'drive configuration' area, and inside that you can select IDE, RAID, or AHCI mode. I'll post up a pic of my bios when I get home.

Soul,

Thanks and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Have a good one!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom