Processor and Thermal Putty

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaisadam

Baseband Member
My friend built a computer with an AMD Sempron 2600+ and does not know what he is doing. He got the computer running but after a while the heatsink/fan combo fell off the processor because he just put putty on and stuck it on the processor, and the heatsink crushed some pieces of the fan. We put the fan back together with some plastic model cement, and put the heatsink back onto the processor (this time the right way with the latches). The fan is working fine now but the computer won't run for him unless he puts pressure on the heatsink. I think that it's because there isn't enough thermal compound and the processor is getting too hot. I went into the BIOS and the motherboard sensor said that the processor is running at 75 decrees Celsius. I'm no expert but this seems way too high. The heatsink is on the processor very tight and he can't even seem to get it off now to apply the thermal compound.

May this be a lesson to newbies: if you don't know how, then get someone who does to do it for you. :D

oh my good lord.....that's just a nightmare of a story. 75C is INSANELY too high. He needs to be in upper 40's mid 50's at most. If the heatsink is on there tight as it is why does he need to press down to get it to boot up? I'm surprised something else in the case didn't break due to the thing falling off. With the computer you specified I know you just have the little clip. Put some effort into that beotch and get it off 'it cant come off' isnt acceptable :p He should be lucky the thing isn't fried at all.

Get a dern flathead and get that heatsink off and properly apply some compound.

this is the most amusing thing i have ever heard <laugh>
You were a newb at one time too, and as far as I'm concerned you still are until you've proven otherwise by helping others in these forums. The guy didn't know any better and everybody has made a mistake that just seemed ridiculously stupid to them in retrospect. Laughing at people doesn't help, so if you can't help the guy then keep your comments to yourself.

i remember my first build i couldnt get that stupid amd hs on and i didnt feel like crushing my processor so i got a decent hsf and it actually fit

im just joking around, sorry if i offended any of you guys.

ya im still having problems too.

Yeah I'm gonna tell him to take that heatsink off and get some paste or something. I think the processor has a fail-safe so that if it's running too hot then the system shuts down. That's the only reason that I can think of for the CPU not being fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom