I7 build, looking for input

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero4o3

Baseband Member
So I will start off with saying I have been doing some reserch recently and just found the forums. interested in getting some input from other people about a possible setup for a new computer.

to give a little info on plans, I am going to be playing FF14 when it releases, I am sure I will be picking up pretty much anything else that looks interesting in the future. just looking for a decent setup and I will say that money is not really an issue. but at the same time I dont want to go over the top lol.

so far I have picked up,

an I7-940

an intel DX58SO motherboard

and a intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid-State Drive

I am going to pick up a 900w modular power supply through my work I beilve also.

What I am really having trouble is figuring out what to do as far as video cards go and thats where I could use some input.

Should I just do a gtx 480? or should I do like a 465 in SLI, should I go with ATI?

I have not looked into building a computer with SLI or crossfire before so I am not really to sure how I should set everything up.

So any input would be greatly appreciated

cannot really get a 940 any more. The 950 is the equivalent and a waste of money.

go i7 920 or 930.

Intel boards are not very good at all.

go evga or asus.

this is a great deal right now.
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

if you want sata 6 and usb 3.0 got this one:
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

As for gpu's the 480 is great but runs a bit hot and is overprices a bit. You will get more bang for your buck if you go ATI. That pains me to say.

from what ive heard, the only difference bettewn the i7 9 series is the factory clock speed. go with an i7 920 and overclock it your self and save a couple hundred bucks

to clarify, I work for a company that gets me discounts on some pc hardware, I ordered a bundle and got the 940 the intel MB and the SSD for a little less then 400 before shipping and all that good stuff.

Although I am not against changing the MB if its really worth it.

hefemeister, any recommendations for ATI? is it worth doing crossfire or should I just get one higher end card?

and Sean I belive your correct, and its a very minor diference in clock speed at that from what I recall.

yeah I kinda like that Idea, part of me kinda wants to go over the top. but maybe a single 5870 will be the way to go for now.

The only other thing I really have to look for at this point is a good deal on RAM probably gonna end up going with 6 gigs, I feel like anything more then that would probably be over kill right now. not sure what yalls opinion on that is.

And thanks for the help so far

thanks again for your input, I ordered the ram you linked to, was right around the same price as the other stuff I was looking at just a bit faster which is a plus. and I did end up going with the ATI card

just found out my i7 and MB will be here a few weeks earlier then I thought so I should have it up and running some time next week.

its finally put together, after getting it all in there I dont know if I even have room to attempt to put a second video card in there lol, at least not the size of that 5870

7300bc69.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom