Thinkin about an upgrade, advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
so I am thinking its time for an upgrade after seein all the eye candy new games at E3, first off will a PCI-E 2.1 card work on a 2.0 MOBO? Here is what I am trying to decide on should I get 1 5850 or 2 5770s or is there something better for that price range? also I have an E8400 @ 3.7GHz prolly soon to be closer to 4 but I don't need to worry about bottle necking wit that do I? I don't think so cause it seems to be pretty fast but I just wanna make sure

will a PCI-E 2.1 card work on a 2.0 MOBO?

Yes. Oh how I wish I had a nickel every time this one has been asked... ;)

Here is what I am trying to decide on should I get 1 5850 or 2 5770s or is there something better for that price range?

Go ahead and push for a 5870. The XFX 5870's start at $389 right now. A single, more powerful card is your best solution as you can always crossfire on down the road. If you crossfire now you are already maxed out.

also I have an E8400 @ 3.7GHz prolly soon to be closer to 4 but I don't need to worry about bottle necking wit that do I? I don't think so cause it seems to be pretty fast but I just wanna make sure

A quad would be your next step. If you have a budget we may be able to help you piece something together along those lines. Since you already have 4GB of DDR2, you could go with a AM2/AM2+/AM3 board and a Phenom II X4.

yea after I thought about it I was using a PCI-E 2.0 in my old MOBO so I coulda figured that one out lol. I'll prolly try and shoot for the 5870, so you are sayin that I need to upgrade my CPU though? Cause I only have enough for the video card right now... I guess lemme know if you think my E8400 is gonna bottle neck to bad or if I could get away with it for a while.

yea after I thought about it I was using a PCI-E 2.0 in my old MOBO so I coulda figured that one out lol. I'll prolly try and shoot for the 5870, so you are sayin that I need to upgrade my CPU though? Cause I only have enough for the video card right now... I guess lemme know if you think my E8400 is gonna bottle neck to bad or if I could get away with it for a while.

Your cpu might be a slight bottleneck but you should still see a nice improvement compared to your current cards.

Depending on your motherboard you may be able to upgrade to a Core 2 Quad Q9xxx at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom