advice on my first HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogos

Daemon Poster
Here is the thing my step dad wants me to build him a HTPC and don't want to spend to much money on it.
He want to hook it to his tv i believe is 40 ish inch lcd to watch tube sites videos mostly and online tv as well.
He also will be messing with music burning cds for his car and everyday email and such.
This is what i put together is cheap and i think will do what he wants no gaming involved what soever.
You guys be the judge.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823107120

Newegg.com - HP DC369A Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical Notebook Mouse

I dint list a cd drive reason being hes going to use a nice IDE CD-ROM/DVD Burner from the old one.
I also will be getting another 2GB ram , i don't think he wants a blue player he has a one already on the tv in the living room this pc is for his room .
He dint said he wanted a basic case nothing that glows i tho that 20 bucks case might work .
I'm by no means an expert. I'm still learning and can use all the help i can get lol.

Please make suggestions if i missed anything or any thing that can be improved without raising the cost to much .

Thanks in advance.

Any advice is welcome guys.
i need to know if this build will work for what he wants as i wrote above.
I'm still learning , he dint give me a budget but i think **** go for $600 or at least $550 if i can keep it under five and ill work great for what he wants that ll be perfect.
No gaming at all just HD video and music.

thanks in advance

Honestly, for an HTPC, let alone one connected to a 40"+ LCD, a wireless keyboard/mouse would be the best option. I know I don't like having to sit too close to my 46", while "troubleshooting" with wired keyboard and mouse. I feel more comfortable with my wireless combo, at about 6-7' away. You don't need a snazzy keyboard or mouse to get the job done, but you will most likely find he'll be happier with a wireless setup.

I have a slim Rosewill keyboard that I use when checking email, or surfing the web in the living room. Once I'm done with it, I put it in my magazine rack or on a bottom shelf of my table. It's far more convenient to have a wireless keyboard, than to hook-up/go get a wired keyboard, and be so close to the television.

^ i've never had an htpc myself, but you make a good point, it does sound like it would be more convenient to have a wireless setup.

I like the wireless setup as well, but is up to him i asked him about that he said he dint know if he wanted a wireless mouse and keyboard yet.
I sold my desktop and got a a laptop for study purposes, and i'm using it like a desktop with a nice wireless mouse keyboard setup and its great with a 23.5 monitor as main display.
but most likely ill talk him into a wireless setup lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom