Insufficient usb power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilpo

Beta member
Ok, i have this very persistant problem with usb HD. I can get it working by connecting it straight to the rear usb port. But, since i want to plug it in and out every other day, i dont want to keep going under the table just to plug in my hd (with 30cm cable). So i've tried 1 meter usb extension cord, usb hub, none will help since it wont work anymore. Even longer (1,5m) usb cord straight from HD to computer wont work. HD just isn't recogninced by windows. I can actually hear it trying to start (click, click...). I even tried taking power straight from the disk drive connector (5V) to the usb line going to HD but still wont work. Are the usb wires too thin to carry through enough amps to power it with longer than 30cm cord? I just dont understand it.
And i havent tried an external powered usb hub but doesnt taking 5V from pc supply pretty much do the same trick?
Any help would be appreciated.
Edit:
Tried also connecting to the 2 additional usb ports from the dongle connected to the mobo, still no go..

Ok, i think i found a solution to this problem. I had another usb-extension cable i hadn't tried yet, so i gave that a go, it works!
It's a 1 meter extension also, but its a bit thicker, so i bet it has more diameter also on the wires. Funny, that this old extension works, but a new usb 2.0 hub won't.. I'm guessing the wires inside are just too thin to carry the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom