Difficulties overclocking i7 930 CPU with Gigabyte X58 UD3R Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did something wrong with the heatsink. I'm using the X58A-UD3R, i7 930, and stock heatsink with stock paste and am running at 3.0GHz, under full Folding@Home load it never goes above 71C. I did undervolt it to lower temps but I got it running stable at 3.0GHz.

UPDATE:
I took the Heatsink out to clean off the extra thermal paste and noticed that one of the legs was not connecting to the Mobo. after a bit of manhandling I was able to get a somewhat solid connection to the Mobo and what do you know the temp readings went down...at least for a little while. The heat has settled at an average of around 54* on stock settings running 2.80GHz. I was able to actually over clock this time around achieving 3.80 GHz with idle temps in the high 60 to low 70. however once I started a game (Crysis) temperature quickly increased to 80*C, at which point I immediately shut down the game and then the system to prevent any damage from occurring . I am back to using stock settings running at 2.80GHz with idle temperature between 53-57*C and when running Crysis temperature spikes around 61*C. Idle temps that high really worry me and seem to be preventing me from successfully overclocking the CPU and RAM.

Slaymate I put an order in for the thermal compound you recommended and once it arrives I plan to completely clean of previous thermal paste and apply the new compound. I'm not very confident that the thermal paste is the end all solution I'm looking for(though i have been wrong before). I'm thinking that I might need a different heatsink to help keep temps down, since this one keeps getting loose. are there any suggestions? and thanks for the assistance.

I just found out that room airflow can make just as big a difference (if not bigger) than case airflow. I put my build under my table and was noticing higher temps in the past few days, I cleaned it out but what really seemed to pull down the temps was running cool air through the room and leaving the doors open. If you're set up in a small room (office, bedroom, etc) then make sure you get cool air to the PC else a bubble of hot air will quickly form around the PC (especially if you have a top exhaust under a desk or table) and reduce cooling.

With a small fan blowing cold air into the room my F@H full load temps are just under 70C (right now 67C) with stock heatsink/paste, Antec Nine Hundred case, and 3.0GHz.

Well the thermal paste really helped out, as I am currently overclocked at 3.8 GHz. everything is running fine and temperature readings are between56-59*C. Running Crysis brings the temps up to around 71-75*C. When I went to remove the heatsink to apply the new thermal paste I found that the leg had again come loose. I will be replacing that heatsink with another in the near future. thanks very much for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom