Laptop shuts off instantly when the charger is plugged in...help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... well I do not have that tool you speak of lol... so does it sound like more of a motherboard issue? I think I might take it to bestbuy or something and see if we can try one of their chargers and see if it works. I really hope its just the charger, only about $8 on ebay.

This tool is realatively cheap in helping you diagnose the issue.

But yea, I think it's more than just the charger, I think the motherboards charging circuit could be fried, I have an HP DV9xxx sitting in my room, has a healthy battery, but the old charger went, and fried a portion of the charging circuit that reports how much life is left on the battery.

After two hours the computer reports 100% battery life, then all of a sudden, it drops to 0% for about 30 minutes, then it just flat out dies lol.

So, in honesty, I think the charging circuit and charger, possibly even the battery are bad...

Now for some reason, as soon as she plugs in the power cord, it shuts off instantly and will NOT turn back on if it is plugged in. It also will not turn on if the battery is out but plugged in... any ideas guys? is it the battery, the charger, or the plug on the laptop? thanks for the help TF!

Faulty motherboard on the laptop. Sounds like some thing is shorting it on the motherboard and preventing it from powering up.

My girlfriend has an HP Pavilion dv4-122nr, she got it about a year ago.

Quick! Find your invoice and claim warranty.

So your saying it could be the laptop itself?

Yes. I have seen this sort of thing in other HP and Dells. However it still might mean that you might still have additional problems with the battery. If you can, try to get the battery replaced under warranty too.

Just to note, HP has issued a MASSIVE recall on SEVERAL modles of there laptops, and warranty extensions, might wanna check it out to make sure that laptop isn't under those recalls, I have ran accross a few lately that was on the list.

hmm looks like she is eligible for a battery recall... but we went to bestbuy and comp usa today, both telling us the the charger and motherboard are broken. My girlfriend ended up picking up a dell for relatively cheap.. I wonder about this recall though.. is it ONLY for batteries? or is there another for the whole laptop?

Some laptops, mostly ones that had the Nvidia 6150 GO GPU have issues overheating... The heatsink design allowed a 2.3mm gap, around the thickness of a penny, to be between the GPU and heatsink, there is talk of a class action lawsuit over it, and it affects a large portion of there laptops, mostly the DV2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 6xxx, and 9xxx series.

But, yea, a power adapter, when they go, sometimes its like the PSU in a PC, it can take out the hard ware with it.

I just serviced one over the last week, GPU would idle around 102C, put a CLEAN penny that I ended up lapping with some thermal paste on it, dropped the temp around 30-40C, though, it still runs hot.

I can recall a few topics on an HP forum where people actualy had to go to the ER over severe burns from the exhaust heat being so hot.

BTW, see if her laptop it self, is also eligible for a warranty extension, I think it's only like a year.

Here is one of the pages on the "enhancments" to the warranty, I found a few other things, I will keep poking around to see if hers is recalled or has an extension.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us

she had the 1000 series, not covered in the recall. we took it to both bestbuy and tigerdirect, both said the port where the charger is plugged in is shot, so is the charger and battery. MY girlfriend ended up buying a new dell instead. Thanks for all of the help though guys, really appreciate it. thats why I love tech forums!

So your saying it could be the laptop itself?

It's a consumer series HP - 90% sure that it is a motherboard issue. Video chip/North Bridge issue caused by excessive heat being the most likely reason. HP's bad batteries throw annoying messages, but they do not make the computer stop working. There is also a very long history of very specific problems with dv-series laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom