Hard drive cannot be formatted

Status
Not open for further replies.

cintiman1

Solid State Member
I just got a used computer when i try to format the Hd through Windows it tells me that another volume is in use would I like to force a dismount of that volume. when i answer yes it says the volume cannot be closed and format aborts. When i try to do a low level format through dos with a low level format utility that gives me the message that the hard drive is locked. How can i format this HD.

Probably norton protection bin is monitoring that drive. Boot into windows safe mode and you can delete or format that drive

cintiman1 said:
I just got a used computer when i try to format the Hd through Windows it tells me that another volume is in use would I like to force a dismount of that volume. when i answer yes it says the volume cannot be closed and format aborts. When i try to do a low level format through dos with a low level format utility that gives me the message that the hard drive is locked. How can i format this HD.

since i don't know what windows you are talking about. it's kind of hard to come up with an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom