problem with starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gta_cb

Beta member
Hi, I made a system for my grand parents simple but more then enough for what they need, its a
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939
Foxconn SKT939 Nforce4-SLI chipset
Kingston 1GB DDR 400MHz/PC3200

Now they are having a problem where every time they turn on their computer the tower turns on like normal, but the screen doesn't switch on, so they turn it off and on again and it works fine. Due to moving away I was unable to come and test out their system and then after a while I was told they might have got the blue screen. I went around, disconnected and re connected all the power supply connections and turned on the system and it booted up fine first try. But a few weeks later I have been told its not working again, any insight would be great.

Many thanks,

you think drivers could really effect if the screen turns on at all? I was under the impression that it didn't matter if you had the worst on board graphics or a £300 graphics card, the POST screen onwards should display something unless something is not working.
again thanks for any thoughts :)

Forgive me if I am repeating myself but I think I need to explain it a bit better as I have been around computers for a long time and I know that you don't need any drivers installed to display the POST screen on the initial power.
When I said that they turn on their tower and the screen doesn't turn on, I literally mean the lights on the tower turn on and you hear the cpu fan etc start up, but there is no display AT ALL. No POST test or ANYTHING. I felt I should say this in case you were under the impression i meant it turns off when loading into windows.

So ye, on the INITIAL power it wont turn on as if there was a problem with the graphics card or something, but then if they turn it off by holding the power switch and then turning it back on, it will display the POST and load into windows and EVERYTHING works fine. Very confusing to say the least.

Thanks for the people who have replied, if you still think this is software related then perhaps i should disconnect the hard drive as a test? as i know you can boot into the bios, or at least show the POST screen or even load Linux from the disc.

Again, thanks for any thoughts you might have, and i should add the graphics card their using is the "ASUS EAX1550TD X1550 256MB DDR2" in case there are any known issues with these gpus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom