New Gaming Computer V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

So1dier

Baseband Member
New Computer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium

Motherboard
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Graphics Card
XFX HD-587X-ZNDC Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

Memory
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Monitor
ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Power Supply
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

Case
RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

Keyboard
Razer Lycosa Mirror Special Edition

Mouse
Razer Orochi

Mouse pad
Razer Sphex

Headset
Sennheiser PC 350

Anti Static Wrist Wrap
CABLES UNLIMITED ACC-1400 Anti Static Wrist Strap With Grounding Wire
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concerns:
-Is my monitor good for gaming? It doesn't tell the refresh rate.
-Is 4 GB RAM enough? Is duel channel kit good? If I add 1 more 2 GB stick will it still run efficiently considering it's not a tri channel motherboard? (I will be running a game, pandora(music in web browser or app), and frapsing(video recording)).
-Is the 750 watt supply enough to run the system.
-Should I try to get by with cheaper thermal glue, I just bought more expensive one just to be safe cause it says it keeps the processor 3-12 degrees celcius lower then others, and I want it to stay low cause I'm using the Heatsink it comes with.
-Will all my hardware fit in the mid tower case I chose?
-Does the case come with the fans or do I have to buy them? I can never tell.
-Will audio still sound amazing using the audio that comes on the motherboard? I'm spending $229 on a headset, so I want the audio to sound great. Will I need to buy a good sound card?

Thanks for everyone that replies,
-Josh

Concerns:
-Is my monitor good for gaming? It doesn't tell the refresh rate.
-Is 4 GB RAM enough? Is duel channel kit good? If I add 1 more 2 GB stick will it still run efficiently considering it's not a tri channel motherboard? (I will be running a game, pandora(music in web browser or app), and frapsing(video recording)).
-Is the 750 watt supply enough to run the system.
-Should I try to get by with cheaper thermal glue, I just bought more expensive one just to be safe cause it says it keeps the processor 3-12 degrees celcius lower then others, and I want it to stay low cause I'm using the Heatsink it comes with.
-Will all my hardware fit in the mid tower case I chose?
-Does the case come with the fans or do I have to buy them? I can never tell.
-Will audio still sound amazing using the audio that comes on the motherboard? I'm spending $229 on a headset, so I want the audio to sound great. Will I need to buy a good sound card?
-Josh
1. Your monitor should be good for gaming, the only reports of ghosting are from folks who have reported it say it's easy to adjust and remove it (feature)
2. 4 gigs will work, however 8 gigs is even better :D. Also, you will be able to run dual channel ram and a single stick, you could run 4 single sticks if you wanted, they do not need to be channeled.
3. Your PSU should suffice
4. That is the thermal compound I use (but I get it very cheep from a friend), not sure how cost comparable it is, but its better than the pad the processor comes with for sure lol.
5. Everything will fit in your case, however you graphics card will probably block a hard drive bay or two (very common with the larger cards in mid towers, only a handful will work.)
6. If you go with that case, you will need to pick up one additional fan
7. Don't get a sound card, onboard audio will be better.

Special Note: Some decent MID SIZE cases that newer cards will fit in with minimal interfearence are
- Antec 900 (May block A hard drive)
- Antec 902
- CM 690
- Phoenix Neo (My Case and personal choice, no fancy window though)

Thoughts on the components...
1. You can probably get away without the wristband, just be careful and don't build on carpet lol.
2. That is a cool mouse, almost got one myself
3. I never use mousepads, but it is personal choice.
4. I am a Saitek type of keyboard man myself, but if I had to pick another, it would probably be a razer, you are safe with it.
5. If you really have the budget for it, that monitor is awesome, but you would not be too much worse off with a slightly cheaper monitor
6. 1tb is allot of space and that is a decent hard drive, however in addition to that I recommend you also get a smaller one to just install the OS on, so if one drive fails you don't loose everything (again, just what I do) perhaps even an SSD for fast booting :D (Upwards of 12 seconds faster depending on os)
7. Love the processor choice
8. Windows 7 is amazing
9. The motherboard will work fine, however if you plan to do much more in terms of upgrading, you may want to look into a better one.

if you're lookin to shave a couple dollars from the total, switch the cpu for the x4 955 and save $20.
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
only difference between this and the 965 is the multiplier, all you would have to do is raise it by 1 and that's it, it'll run at 3.4ghz.

and save $40 by getting the non xxx 5870.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
all they did with the xxx is raise the core clock 25mhz and the memory clock by 50mhz, which you can do yourself in like 10 seconds.

the corsair is a good psu, but you wouldn't need it. i think you should go with this, it's a really good deal with the xfx 5870 i mentioned above with a 650w xfx modular psu.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

lastly, that seems like alot of money for just some thermal paste. this is some good stuff, and not as expensive.
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

and dude,
cause it says it keeps the processor 3-12 degrees celcius lower then others, and I want it to stay low cause I'm using the Heatsink it comes with.
that's just marketing. it's pretty obvious that they're going to say their stuff is better, that's for any product in any industry. don't fall for it so easily.

oh, and you don't need that anti static strap thing. if you're really worried, just touch a bare metal area of the case.

also, id get a cheapo mouse and key board, with budget builds, you want to put as much money as you can into things that have processing power, ie, CPU, RAM and GPU, Mother board.

A couple things not to get on your list:

1. Lycosa Mirror Edition- It's worse than the normal version. I hated it. It recently died on me and I replaced it with an Arctosa, which is basically the same exact thing except the keys are soft touch, and I wish I would have just got it to begin with and saved $30. Lots of others on this forum are having issues with their Lycosas also.

2. anti static wrist band. You don't really need this...static is not THAT prevelent unless you are doing everything on carpet while rubbing your socks back and forth on the floor :p just touch the metal casing every once in a while and don't lay your parts bare on a carpet surface.

Additional thoughts would be get the regular XFX 5870 like Muffin said, also maybe you can save a few bucks by going with a 650W PSU, and do not get AS5 paste. Get TX-2 at least (again like Muffin said).

Phoenix Neo, you recommended it, I checked it out, and now I want to buy it. But NO ONE SELLS IT!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only place I found that carries it is
A-Power.com - Buy Enermax ECA3162-B (Black) Phoenix Neo SECC & Alluminum ATX Mid Tower Case w/25cm Fan & extra front 12CM LED Fan #11117 - CPEC3162B - Canada
and it is not the cheapest at $105.

If it is the layout of the interior you like, I THINK it is the same as the Chakra
Newegg.com - ENERMAX Chakra ECA3052B Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Case Front I/O Interface w/1 eSata, 2 USB2.0 and Audio I/O Ports

I can't vouch for that myself, but from the little experience I have had with Enermax, It should be a solid case (as solid as it can be for $69 at least)

Yah that case was hard for me to find new lol, I actually put in a proposal with newegg so they would Cary it lol. I ended up ordering it from some place I have never heard of.

EDITED BELOW THIS POINT
You know what? You graphics card is actually 11" long (I assumed it was similar to mine at 10.5"), I am not sure that that extra half inch will fit into any of those mid size cases I listed, I am sure you could make it work with a bit of case modding, but it may be in your best interest to upgrade to a Full Tower if you have room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom