Difficulties overclocking i7 930 CPU with Gigabyte X58 UD3R Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackrs113

Solid State Member
Ok so I hope this is the right place for this thread if not I'd be happy to move it.
So I recently completed a PC Build (my very first) and I was very pleased with the results . I'm running a i7 930, with a Gigabyte X58 UD3R, 6gb of gskils DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). However I have run into a problem. I bought the i7 with the intention of overclocking it but the system continued to fail to post above 2.95 GHz with all settings standard except BCLK frequency , EIST, and C1E turned off. Doing a further check on the system I found the BIOS temp reading for the CPU to be at 90*C while Furmark had the system reading at 45*C. It seems that the problem resides in the Mobo (based on the BIOS temp reading) though I am clueless as to what the problem might be. I am currently in contact with Gigabyte to determine the problem and a solution, however their customer support is absolute trash and has been a real pain to deal with. Has anyone on here experience this issue or something similar? help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any other info let me know and I will happily provide it.

Update: Slaymate here are the pictures you requested
PScreenCPU-Z.png

HWmonitor_Screenshot.png

And here is the link for the online manual

Are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler? Is the cooler firmly attached? How much thermal paste did you use or was it pre-applied. If it was pre-applied, did you smudge it?

Is the bios the newest version available?

Can you post a couple of screenshots of CPU-Z (cpu tab and memory tab) and HWMonitor (not the whole desktop as I need to be able to read the info).

CPU-Z
HWMonitor

Is there a manual .pdf available for your mobo so I can see what bios options are available. A link please.

FurMark doesnt stress the CPU, it stresses the Graphics card chip...

if you want to stress your processor us LinX or prime95.

and i second what slaymate said, those temps tell me that you dont have a CPU cooler... with out a CPU cooler its a hair away from being impossible to overclock anything and have it stable

its an aftermarket heatsink -ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. I just checked the heatsink and it seems to be seated fine with added thermal paste. There is no heat that in the heatsink or around the processor that I can feel. I used Core Temp and it is informing me that all four cores are running at between 73*C and 70* C with no other programs running.

@ slaymate-I will get back to you on the CPU-Z/HWMonitor

Your Temps are Screaming HOT!!!!
Either your Heatsink is not properly attached or the fan is not plugged in or you have to much paste applied.

I think you should try the stock heatsink that came with the cpu an see if your temps improve.

well there is your problem... thats not really a very good cooler...

Um at that Vcore, the temp shouldn't raise past anything the stock heatsink can handle. The Pro 7 can easily handle that.

Its clearly something amiss. I'm with the other guys, check fan, paste,

What do you mean byh "With added thermal paste" The hsf comes with it pre-applied doesn't it?

Um at that Vcore, the temp shouldn't raise past anything the stock heatsink can handle. The Pro 7 can easily handle that.

Its clearly something amiss. I'm with the other guys, check fan, paste,

What do you mean byh "With added thermal paste" The hsf comes with it pre-applied doesn't it?

yes and I added a little more to be on the safe side

yes and I added a little more to be on the safe side

Ding, Ding, Ding. That was the wrong thing to do. What type of paste did you add? Please don't say Arctic Silver 5. If you do please toss it in the trash. If AS5 is all you have then you can use it, but you should replace it as soon as possible with something like Tuniq TX-2

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Using AS5
Remove all the paste from the heatsink and cpu using alcohol and a soft rag. Give it a few minutes for the alcohol to fully evaporate. Apply a small bead of paste to the center of the cpu (about the size of a grain of rice) and spread it thinly across the entire heatspreader. And I mean thin, less is better than more. Re-attach the heatsink, plug in the fan and try it.

For other pastes
Remove all the paste from the heatsink and cpu using alcohol and a soft rag. Give it a few minutes for the alcohol to fully evaporate. Apply a small bead of paste to the center of the cpu (about the size of a grain of rice) and attach the heatsink. The weight of the heatsink will spread the paste, you can give it "a little" wiggle if you want but I mean "a little", plug in the fan and try it.

EDIT:

Using the picture below as a reference, when you remove the heatsink from the cpu it should look similar to this. I've circled 2 areas that actually have a little TO MUCH paste.

paste.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom