Micro ATX Motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reebregal

Beta member
Has anyone got one of these that didn't cost an arm & a leg???

I've currently got an Asus P5KPL-AM and Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 and I want to be able to use at least three monitors for trading purposes.

Since the motherboard only has one PCIe x16, my options seem to be:

(1) A quad graphics card which is pricey
(2) Replace the motherboard with one that has two PCIe x16's.

Option 2 seems to be the better cost wise but can't find suitable motherboard.

Any ideas appreciated???

Hi MM,

Becuase the Base Unit has a power unit in the way and I need to replace the existing m-atx.
I guess I could go further and look at replacing the base unit but I don't really want to go there!

never seen it called "base unit" before, but thanks to the wonders of google, i think you're referring to your case?

and by "power unit", i'm guessing you mean your power supply (psu)?

if yes, then i think i understand your situation; you probably have an m-atx case, which means only m-atx mobos are supported.

ok, so i'm not sure where you're able to shop from (your location?), but i just skimmed through newegg here, and there are no m-atx lga775 mobos with 2 x16 slots, only atx.

only getting a larger case would allow you to use an atx mobo. or not using a case at all, but that might be impractical for you.

another option could be adding another gfx card, but im guessing you're already using a pci-e card which is currently populating the only x16 slot on your mobo. but i think your mobo should have atleast 1 pci slot, and there are are gfx cards with a pci interface you could also use though, to run another monitor off of.

MM,

You're bang-on with your assumptions.

Soz about terminology - part me being non techie and part me being Bristish I suspect. (So its definitely me then!)

Didn't know that you could get graphics cards that didn't need PCIe x16... I'll google to have a look. (I was told previously PCIe x16 was mandatory

Thanks for your suggestion and appreciate your time in answering.

RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom