[HELP]Building a Computer: Are These Parts Compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

00lawl

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm building a computer for the first time... and I'm wondering if these computer parts are all compatible with each other. Do they go well with each other?
This computer will be used mainly for gaming. Starcraft 2 is definitely a game I'm going to be getting and I'd like to be able to run it on max settings (or close to it).
Here's a list of the parts I'm getting.

Newegg.com - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

The total comes to around $1350.
Any additional thoughts on how to improve the build for around the same price would be greatly appreciated.
Much thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Your cooler won't work as it only fits 1156, not 1366. Other than that it looks complete.

Why Crossfire two weaker cards when you can go with a single card that would give you much better performance?
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Great advice, I'll be getting the 5870 and modify the list in OP.
As for the cooler, how's this one? Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Why not just get the i7 930 processor, i think its only $20 more? o.o

Thanks for the heads up, it's only $10 more.

Hi there, quick look at everything looks compatible. Your motherboard & CPU are both same socket 1366. Motherboard supports your ram 1066, although it is a little low end it will get the job done.. not sure what startcraft 2 will require but I think you will be okay. And a good feature for you is that your motherboard supports 6×240pin memory slots, you will be using half of this with the memory you are installing, so in the future at a time if needed you can add another triple channel kit. Since like Trotter mentioned above your heatsink doesn't match with your CPU, I recommend Noctua NH-U12DX 1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler.. its exspensive but your computer will love you for it. Also this heatsink matches your socket type, if ever you may want to figure out if a heatsink does match your socket type of CPU you can click on the link i am going to provide you with to this heatsink and then on the tabs near the price you can click specifications its a yellow tab until clicked it will turn blue, under this window, look for Spec, then compatibility and you should see what socket type(s) it is compatible with. Here is my recommended heatsink.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12DX 1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

How big of a difference will it make if I choose one cooler over the other?

Also, will all of these parts fit into the Actec 900? What about the 300?

The difference between the Freezer 7 Pro and the Sunbeam will be a few degrees at most. If/when you overclock the Sunbeam will keep your CPU cooler then the Freezer 7 Pro. Cooler = more stability.

Both the Freezer 7 and the Sunbeam will fit in the 900 and 300... they have the same width.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom