Build Advice Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aztral

Beta member
I'm in the process of putting together parts and before I spend a large amount of money I'd like to make sure that they are all compatible and will play nicely with one another. If you guys could look this list over and let me know if anything looks iffy that would be awesome.

The first thing to note is that I've been saving for some time now and I have ~$3,000 to spend if I want to. I'm not necessarily attempting to spend it all but I wouldn't be overly upset if I did =). With all that I do on my computer it would be money well spent regardless.

These are the components I'm currently looking at:

Motherboard:
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

No real concerns here.

GPU:
Deciding between Geforce GTX 480 and Radeon 5970.

It seems impossible to get any clear information as to which of these would be better as nobody ever agrees on anything when it comes to nVidia vs. ATI. My primitive understanding leads me to believe that the ATI card performs better but that nVidia may be better in terms of stability, drivers, support etc. Any suggestions here?

SSD Boot Drive:
Transcend TS32GSSD25-M 2.5" 32GB PATA MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - Transcend TS32GSSD25-M 2.5" 32GB PATA MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I considered a significantly larger SSD (100 gig) but I don't know what would be the point of that. I don't see a need for putting much on it other than the OS.

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

It is my understanding that the 930 is a bit of an upgrade of the 920, which was my previous choice.

RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP4GX3M2A1600C8

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP4GX3M2A1600C8

I'm planning on getting at least this x 2 (8 gigs), maybe 12.

Case:
This is where I have some questions, mostly because I really have no idea what to look for in a case. Cooling and whether or not I'll have room to fit anything seem paramount and I really have no idea how to judge whether those two things will work out for any given case.

As of now I'm looking at the Antec 1200, basically because it's what has popped up the most in my research, but I don't necessarily know why. Will it work for the other parts I'm getting? Any alternative suggestions?

CPU Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

PSU:
This is another place I'm just not sure. As I understand it it is important to be efficient with your PSU, which means *not* leaving room for expansion. I'm planning now to go with a single video card but certainly am not throwing out the idea of SLI or Crossfire in the future. So, should I buy a PSU that could accommodate for that expansion or not? Any suggestions on PSU?

Monitor:
LG W2453V-PF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1

Newegg.com - LG W2453V-PF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1 w/ Smart Package

CD/DVD Drive:
ASUS DVD-E818A6T/BLK/B/G Black 18X SATA DVD-ROM Drive

I figure it would be hard these days to buy a bad DVD drive. I have considered a blue ray drive but its the one thing I can't really see myself using a lot for the extra money it would cost.
Thanks a lot for advice/suggestions/criticism or anything. It is very appreciated that you guys are so willing to help out.

I would go with a Radeon 5970, it is the fastest graphics card on the planet, it consums less power then the 480 and puts out less heat.

a SSD boot drive is perfectly fine..

Slaymate has experience that the i7 920 is better at overclocking then the 930, he will be able to tell you more. but if you arnt overclocking the 930 is a faster processor.

i7 processors use DDR3 tripple channel ram, you have dual channel ram listed. i dont know what a good ram replacement would be, but someone will be able to help you out no problem, just not me hehe.

as for the case, the Cooler Master High Air Flow ( HAF ) X case was just released yesterday, dare i say it is the BEST case on the market, and i think it will remain the king for some time.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

as far as a cpu cooler goes, if you want to be the big dog on the porch and want to stay with air cooling, id go with the Noctua NH-D14, it is arguably the best air cooler on the market
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

but if spending almost $100 on a CPU cooler isnt what you find exciting id go with any one of these over the one you have

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12DX 1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - Thermalright TRUE Black 120Rev.C CPU Cooler
plus a fan or 2 Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm Dual-Fan CPU Cooler

if SLI or crossfire is an option for you down the road i would go with a modular powersupply that can meet those demands should you make that decision. this is a really good powersupply

Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

as far monitors, Samsung is the boss... here is one that is close to the price that you were planning on spending on the one you spent.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2570 Glossy Black 24.6" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 70000:1(1000:1)

go with whatever optic drive you want, its hard to botch that one up.

for a gfx card, if you want the current best of the best and you can afford it, it would be the 5970.

for a single card, a psu like this one would do.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

if you think you might add a second card though, you'll have to step it up to something like this one be safe.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

i had never even noticed that they made ssd's with an ide interface.

i would suggest this 30gb ssd though.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

or for a bit more, this 60gb.
Newegg.com - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

for the separate hdd, you could get this hdd and save $10.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

you should get ram in sets of 3, because that i7 supports tri channel ram.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM
this set would be good.

cases? that's really personal preference, pick whatever you like. the 1200 IMO is a nice case, but here are some other suggestions.
full towers
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Element V VL20001W2Z Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

less expensive, but still good mid towers
Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Antec Six Hundred Black / Silver ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - NZXT Hades Crafted Series HADE-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor A90 Black Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis Case With Cable Management Water Cooling SSD Support And Tool-Less Installation VL90001W2Z w/ 1x120mm front blue LED fan, 1x120mm rear fan & 1x200mm top blue LED fan

and last, i think you should spend like 2 bucks more on a dvd burner, you might as well.
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

rest of your parts look good though.

Thanks both of you very much. I think I will go with the cooler you suggested Sean. Cooling seems like something not to be taken lightly.

As for the RAM issue both of you caught thanks again. . . this is why I need to ask these questions =) Rather ignorant on my part. Thanks for the recommendations I'll take a look at them all. I'll be more comfortable spending the money if I know the parts are going to work.

Muffin man gave links to both mid size and full size cases, i highly recommend you go with a full size case. mostly because there arnt very many mid size cases that the 5970 can fit into.

i would look at the HAF X, HAF 932 or the Antec 1200, in that order.

your mother board is a beastly board, so thats good.

and to make the inside of your new case look awesome, i recentally found this, it just make the 24pin power cable that goes to your mother board look a lot sharper... just an FYI
Newegg.com - NZXT 9.84" 24 Pin Motherboard Extension Cable Model CB-24P

I actually have a recommendation for a mid size case that I am using (Only if space is an issue), it works great with the larger cards (honestly, the only mid case I have found that offers room to spare)

The price is decent enough you may want to check out the Phoenix Neo, which can fit the newer cards with a bit of room to spare, not to mention it looks beast and has an adjustable in-out 250mm fan (adjustable LED to which is nice because they can get bright...) That said, with very few exceptions, it will be hard to find a mid tower that will house the newer graphics card, and that is why I had to change from my Antec case (was the mid size version of the 1200, can't think of it right now). Full towers are nice, but if you are in a dorm room like me, there just is not room for them, and even a mid can push it with very limited floor space, but if you are not short floor space a full tower has better cooling and cable management as well as more space.

As for the cards, (I use this loosely) Generally speaking, the Radeons will handle higher graphics and higher resolutions than nVidias cards, however once you add AA or Physx into the mix, the nVIdias usually out perform their Radeon counterparts, that said, I have not looked through the comparisons of those two specific cards (Also, I am bias towards nVidia, so I can't recommend one for you as i can guarantee I would say nVidia 80% of the time, regardless of factual proof to back it up)

I second Muffin Man on the larger power supply (If you plan future upgrades), as well as think the 30gb SSD will be fine if you are only planning for an OS on it and nothing else.

As for your monitor, I believe that will be a very good choice as it was one of the three I narrowed down after some extensive research about two weeks ago as to what my next monitor would be (Ended up going with the VW246H, but that was because it was so similar and it was cheaper, you will not be dis-satisfied with what you are getting)

As for the PSU, if are terribly worried about efficiency, get one that is rated highly for it (80%+) but (this is just me) I always like to leave room for expansion.

Oh, and that motherboard is sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom