Considering this build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukutani

Solid State Member
It's been a few years since I built a pc. But through browsing, I think I've come up with a decent build. My basic uses for this will be gaming, and tooling around with overclocking.

1.CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler 34.99
2.CPU: Intel Core i7 930 Processor BX80601930 - 2.80GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan 289.99
3.MotherBoard: EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support 214.99
4.Memory: Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048MB), DHX 204.99
5.Video Card: XFX HD583XZNFV Radeon HD 5830 Video Card - 1GB DDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI 239.99
6.Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case 139.99
7.PSU: XFX 850W Black Edition Modular Power Supply - ATX, 80 Plus Silver, 135mm Fan, Single Rail, NVIDIA SLI, ATI CrossFire Ready 154.99
8.Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer 19.99
9.Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.11 ST31500341AS Barracuda Hard Drive – 1.5TB 89.99
10.Operating system: Windows 7 64 Pro 139.99

Total: 1524.90 + S&H

My budget is around 1700.00

Suggestions, comments, feedback?

Your power supplies way to big. I run i 260s on a 700W A Nice Corsair, or simular quality 650-800 would be plenty for all sli but the 4 series nvidia or super upper end ATI.

I like my 260s, but I'd now go with an ATI card, 5 s;eries are dx11 and better bang for your buck.
A 5770 @ $180, or 5830 @ $230 are much better options.

Ok, so I went to the 850PSU

Ultra X4 850-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty, 80+ Silver, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications. 199.99

And I have been looking at the 5830, but i can't seem to find any indication if the Mobo will support crossfire. If it does, what manufacturer would you suggest for the card, it seems to be produced by a few companies with variable prices.

Where are you buying from?

The Ultras not the best but its too bad.

As far as i understand ALL x58 boa5rds are xfire, but Evga is a Nvidia maker, so they don't add that to the spec print out, but it does.

Google searc for Evga x58 xfire

Looks like it will support xfire, atleast according to newegg and a few other articles

I would just like to point out, that the power supply (1050 watt) is even more overkill than I would contemplate (and trust me, I definitely don't skimp on the power supply recommendations lol) And while I am still trying to compensate for my general over-guesstimates (around 200 watts) I would say off the top of my head you could safely drop down to even a 750 watt PSU, and if you wanted still most likely run two of the GTX260s (or better) in the future if you so choose so.

Everything looks good, are you firm on the power supply your choosing now? Ultra is a little old and there are better choices, xfx black edition 850-watt power supply is very newish and awesome looking, and its about 40$ cheaper at directcanada.com (not sure where you live) so depends which site you buy from if you did.

And I highly recommend! you buying a small / medium sized solid state drive (SSD). Computers are so fast now days with the CPU's, ram, and motherboards that the hard drives are bottle necked quite alot and slow. An SSD even 64 gb is around 140-180$ go with kingston they are a little cheaper but are a very quality brand, intel is good too but a little on the exspensive side 80gb SSD from intel is around 250-300$.
What do you do with an SSD? Put your operating system on it BAM super fast responsive operating system, put some programs, and some games, and internet and BAM, maps on games, programs, and internet will all be very speedy, keep your seagate drive for mass storage, this is kind of the new fad going on right now and it is a very good idea to do if you want those type of results (most cases you should want those results on your computer).

I agree with patonb on the going ATI cards he is right about the better bang for buck. I am a nvidia lover myself but I also will be switching to two ati's, due to results, cost, and efficiency! If you need more to boost your confidence or motivation to go with ATI just have a look at this link below it will show you results of latest cards and how they perform typically pay attention to the ati radeon 5850, also note that it is not crossfire'd like some of the others that are crossfire'd or sli'd on that review.
Code:
[url=http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/13]NVIDIA?s GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470: 6 Months Late, Was It Worth the Wait? - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News[/url]
Glad your going with cool master haf 932, sorry but antec is just ... no comment good choice there though. Operating system: Windows 7 64 Pro 139.99, good but is it OEM? OEM means once you install it you will never be able to upgrade hardware so its not very future friendly, if its not OEM good haha.. but also there is a way to get windows 7 ultimate retail for free .. i'm not going to share how because it may be against rules on these forums but lets just say it is a "do it yourself job", would save a good chunk of change there and you can still update windows etc perfectly.

Any questions about my advice just ask and let me know!

The winows 7 is OEM, but from everything I read, it locks to the mobo, but does the software lock or does the software key lock? I have a full version of Win 7 pro 64, just need another key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom