Graphics Card Temp. Too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
I've had my XFX HD 4870 1gb for about a year already. And I always have had problems with it, in fact I RMA'd my first 4870 and recieved a new one in the mail with the same problems.

The card overheats (assumption) during performance intensive games, and freezes/crashes my computer.

Recently I took the side panel off my computer, pointed a fan directly at the inside and saw the temps go from 67C to 59C after a while (Idle)

I then realized that 59C is still a bit too high for an idle temp, a friend of mine told me to take off the heatsink to the card and apply some new thermal compound, I did so, however since I have never applied thermal compound to anything before, I went complete overkill with it and put way too much (it was spilling onto the side etc).

I turned off the computer and cleaned all the compound off, and this time only put a little bit on the center of the chip, turned on the computer and the temperatures are now in the 60's again. 67C Idle to be exact, and this is with the side panel of the pc off, and a fan pointed at the inside. I still can't get the temps down, and I am afraid my games will crash my computer due to overheating if I try to play.

I still havent upgraded my PSU, but I am assuming the temps of the gfx card are a seperate issue. Any advice? I'm am a newbie as well, I know virtually nothing about computers really ( this was my first PC I ever built)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz
4gb Nvidia OCZ Performance DDR2 800mhz
XFX ATI HD 4870 1gb

Some of you are going to remember me, since this is about the 5th threat I have posted complaining of the same problems.

Idle temps gives you a basic idea, not something to base your performance off. At rest, non-entisive graphics, it should stay in 50-60C. It also depends around your room temperature and case airflow.

What program are you using to detect these temperatures? Try HWMonitor if not already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom