Building My First Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joered

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone,
I am in the process of building my first computer. It will be used primarily for gaming, and I would like new games coming out (Starcraft II, Diablo 3) to run smoothly. I'm looking at around the $1000 price range. I have done a lot of research on various sites, and these are the parts I have come up with so far...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRLHard Drive: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Vid. Card: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

DVD/CD: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM: Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Monitor:Hanns·G HH-241HPB Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(1000:1) Built-in Speakers: Newegg.com - Hanns·G HH-241HPB Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(1000:1) Built-in Speakers

Fan:ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

As far as I can tell, everything is compatible (not 100% on this). I was wondering if this is a good setup, and I also need help on what case to get. I'm not sure if USBs or drives affect which case is needed. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

-Joe

I seem to recommend this to everybody, but The Asus VW246H is an awesome monitor, I love it. You should consider it.

Amazon.com: ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black: Computer & Accessories

(Yes, actually get it from amazon, free shipping and they will take it back if it has any bad pxls, where as newegg only if it has 3 or more).

I can't really make a recommendation (At work so no time to look up for you) but I would suggest a better graphics card, (Consider trying an Nvidia too) if you are planning on gaming much, especially if you want to max things out on newer games, I am rocking a GTX 275, but that may be a bit more than you need, but try like a 260 or something (Can't think of prices right now)

I would also CONSIDER a bigger PSU, I am sort of alone on my feelings on them (or so I believe) in that you should always get more than you need so as to accommodate future upgrades, I know rosewill has a good 950watt that is a good price (about the same). Only thing is it will run a bit hotter, so plan accordingly. (That said, don't judge quality by watts, it is seldom the case, but I can vouch for this one, been using it intensively for a few years now)

As far as I can tell on skimming though, everything is compatible, but again, I am at work (retail) So I don't have allot of time to browse (Only person working, like 8 customers lol)

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check out that monitor. I will also look into a a better graphics card. I have been a fan of ATI but I'll check Nvidia.

I was told by a friend that even a 750W PSU would be overkill. 950W isn't too much?

Thanks for the help.

No such thing as (well, ok, there is) "Too Much". For what you have a 750 would be just fine, but I know allot of the newer cards draw 500w on themselves, so, I guess I am an extreme case, but I started out needing about 500 watts, (got the 950 because it was cheap) and now I am drawing about 850+ simply after all the upgrades.

I won't lie to you, just about everybody here will tell you you will be fine with 750, and if you don't plan any major upgrades you will be set for a long time with it, but if you are like me and like to upgrade allot (or ever might run in x-fire or sli the newer cards you should go bigger), you should try and consider the larger one (Though you are talking to the guy that makes decisions on hard drives based on the number of seconds it will save on loading over the other lol). Like I said, with a bigger psu, you are dealing with more heat, and energy draw, but the trade off is you should be set with it for a few years, no matter the draw of the newer cards.

If anybody else wants to jump into this conversation, feel free :D

lose the ide hdd dude, get a sata hdd instead.
if you still want to get just a 500gb, get this one and you'll save some money too.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

or this larger, faster hdd that costs the same as the one you had listed.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

and this hsf instead.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2
costs the same, and it should cool your cpu better than the arctic cooling.

besides that, your build looks good.

if you want to step up your gfx card though, i'd suggest a 5770.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
or any ati card because if you consider running dual gfx cards later on, your mobo has an amd chipset so it only supports crossfire (ati cards).

but also, i'm going to have to disagree with you on the psu FoxMcCarther. the 750w corsair is a very good psu, and is probably one of the psus people would consider if they were going to be running something like dual 5870's in their system.

with the 750w, you'd have more than enough headroom to be on the safe side, even a 650w corsair would power his rig just fine with upgrades.

actually, the 650w seems to be a pretty good deal right now on newegg.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
$90 w/ free shipping. get $10 off with their promo code, so $80 total and it has a $10 rebate.

either psu will do.

I like the bigger, faster hdd you have above. Faster and bigger for the same price works for me. I will also stay with ATI for a gfx card. I am a fan, and also because of the motherboard.

I'm still checking out the different PSUs. I think 950 is overkill, plus the extra heat and energy won't help. I am looking to upgrade in the future when I can.

Any ideas on the case I should consider? Thanks.

Hi there, your build is fairly interesting *Reads, and thinks what to say*..

Well first off start from the top i've owned two oldish amd build computers for the past 9 years, all have served my purposes well enough! (I game long, and hard). In those years i have gone through video cards, power supplies, and one motherboard on the old computer. But the processor is remaining to beat on.. either or amd & intel both good.

I agree with Muffin 650-750watt is sufficient anything more then 750 would be unnecessary, but your choice.

I would suggest to go with a western digital cavier black 1tb 64mb cache 7200rpm.. pretty cheap at the moment directcanada.com = 101$, newegg = 104$. The cache will help with bottle necking issues in hard drives not being able to keep up now days.

I also was going to go with this Heatsink, ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler. Until I found out from a friend who suggested not to, due to it being old news. If your going to pay 50$ or more the rule is to go thermaltake heatsink, if you can afford a good heatsink go noctua very good heatsinks but cost an arm and a leg but very good quality and does its job well. Paying less then 50$ I don't think I would pay less ... for one thats my opinion though up to you.

The memory good brand G.Skills really bins there higher quality ram, I exspecially am a fan of ripjaws series good choice.

Took a quick gander at the motherboard and cpu, both are the correct socket type no red flag there they will fit, and they both seem to be quality products for what your looking for in gaming good job in setup hope it works out any questions about my advice reply back and let me know.

Thanks for the help. I am new so please forgive this next question...
Do all the appropriate wires and cables come with the parts?

Thanks.

They usually come with the mobo actually. So a HD is just the drive, same as the dvd. But your mobo will cvome with like 20 casbles oif various uses... Newegg lists them in the specs.

The other cables are attached to the psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom