xp wont find any modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
no it just doesnt auto detect anything when i go detect modem it says that the modem isnt pluged in or something like that and yet the drivers r installed fine and it says the modem is working fine but it lies

when you go in, you click on the com the modem is on, click on details and it says "Port already open" thats what I'm wondering 'cause if thats the case, its not that its not installed, but instead another device is interfering with it. Things like printers and scanners are notorious for this. May want to make check the com settings in the bios. Also, if it is installed, uninstall it and then try disabling com2 in DM, remove the modem from DM and reboot. I dont know about XP, but in win98 you can also remove the PCI bus and then on reboot it redects everything (best know your way around finding system files and .inf files because you'll probably have to path it out manually as windows will have problems many times finding it) and hopefully sort out any conflicts. Modems tend to have this problem, and even in DM will show no conflicts, but it still happens.

Honestly, with the price of 56k modems now.. Don't rip your hair out.. I used to work for AOL tech support and it's just not worth the hastle.. Skip McDonalds (no offense inteded, modems are just that inexpensive now) and Go get a new modem.. Here are some links to good quality modems and very affordable prices..

Walmart website

Compusa Website

Newegg website

Not to mention, you can walk into almost any local computer store and pick up an internal 56k modem for under $20.

In addition, if you get a new one, then you can call the company that manufactures the board and get professional technical support if, for some reason, it doesn't work..

Believe me.. The money you spend is worth the headache that you save..

Alexander

i have, but ill try ur idea killian as soon as i can get home to get on my machine, proving harder than it should b at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom