PS/2 Keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutnj19

Solid State Member
Hey everyone...

I'm continuing to build my PC. When first loading the OS, I know I can use a USB keyboard and load Legacy USB info... but I figured it might just be easier to us a PS/2 keyboard.

Do any of you have any suggestions for a solid PS/2 Keyboard? I'm looking for something above the basic $12 keyboard I can buy anywhere.

And while we're at it... A solid gaming mouse with the same interface.

Thanks!

For a solid gaming keyboard I would go with something USB, they usually have more gaming features. If you need a backup PS/2 keyboard just get one of the $5 cheapo's on Newegg and keep it in your desk/closet/under your bed in case you need it later. My PC from 8 years ago sometimes won't use a USB keyboard in the BIOS, only if you shut down the OS properly does it work in the BIOS. However, anything newer supports USB keyboards at BIOS just fine.

Personally I'm using a $5 Lite-On silver/black PS/2 keyboard that I got for an ancient desktop I got for free, didn't have one for my new build so I'm using it even for gaming and don't mind it at all. It's solidly built but it is just a standard keyboard, no gaming features or functions or extra buttons.

Are there any specific functions you want to get out of this board? I've never ran into a problem when installing an OS with a USB keyboard/mouse. The only problem I would see arise is motherboard compatibility with USB input devices, as older boards needed the PS/2 keyboard to boot. Pretty sure most of the newer boards have phased that out, and it's been that way for some time now.

If this build is of newer components, I see no real reason as to choose a PS/2 keyboard over USB interface. You'll get a much broader selection with a USB interface, and that goes for a gaming mouse as well. A lot of newer motherboards also have sort of phased out PS/2 support, and limit you to one PS/2 port.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't entirely sure that installing an OS from straight up USB was possible, but I guess I was wrong. :silly:

I greatly appreciate the help. (My first build and all, so I'm learning)

I am rocking a Cyborg keyboard and I love it, but I agree with the comments above, get a good gaming keyboard and a 5$ cheep one just in case. Don't skimp on the interface of an awesome computer, In my opinion the mouse and keyboard are very important because it is the only part of the computer you are always in contact with. May as well like what you work with :D

PS/2 can be run at up to 200Hz
Plus, it only sends signals when keys are pressed. USB needs to poll all the time, and uses more CPU power.

For mice, the maximum polling rate of 1000Hz would be much more beneficial than for keyboards (though the standard USB polling rate is 125Hz anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom