USB stick problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I have a 32GB USB stick, it was working fine up until a few days ago - any computer I stick it complains that it cannot detect what it is, which means I can't even format it or anything since it's not recognised as a USB stick (simply an Unknown USB Device, or something similar).

Is the thing dead? Any way I can get it working, or will I need to warranty it? Any other information needed?

Thanks, Yami :)

I agree, sounds like a lost case to me. Had the same thing happen to me with a 16Gb model, it's the reason I stopped getting large flash drives and started buying 2.5" drives. SO much more reliable

My old 64MB stick actually blew a few years ago. I put it in, and It smelled funky. Took it out, opened the casing, and a chip blew. It didn't hurt my USB port, though.

I agree, sounds like a lost case to me. Had the same thing happen to me with a 16Gb model, it's the reason I stopped getting large flash drives and started buying 2.5" drives. SO much more reliable

While all my 2.5" drives in systems have been very reliable I've never been able to trust them for portable storage since they are so easily killed by a small drop.

When they're in use yeah, they don't like being dropped :p but otherwise they're pretty hardy. Got one I bought about 2 years ago, which has been bouncing around in my bag and off my desk a few times, still going like a champ :thumbsup:

Well, while it sounds like it may be bad, I don't like calling it quits quite yet. I have a few things for you to try.

1. Does it work on other computer? If not, it's probably dead. If it does do step 2
2. Revert back to the default chipset drivers, then remove all USB devices from the que and restart the computer. (Safely Remove them)
3. Once the computer is fully booted and loaded, insert the flash drive and wait about 30 seconds to see if it is recognized.

If that does not work, yah, its dead.

As far as the 2.5" goes, my idea of portable is hauling around a 3.5" internal hard drive that I have in an enclosure. I haul it around and plug into the USB. It's allot of work for the 35gb Hard drive I have in it... Lol.

@Fox- Windows has its own drivers every time he puts it in. There are no default chipset drivers.

Not trying to bash you, just correct you ;)

I have my set of many USB sticks that I used to take to school and bring back home. Zip drives used to be the hype, but they are in the verge of phasing out. They do make externals, though.

@Fox- Windows has its own drivers every time he puts it in. There are no default chipset drivers.

Not trying to bash you, just correct you ;)

I have my set of many USB sticks that I used to take to school and bring back home. Zip drives used to be the hype, but they are in the verge of phasing out. They do make externals, though.
No problem, thanks for the correction, sometimes things get by me ^_^. I can't know everything, so sometimes trying something that works as a solution for one problem may work in place of another. Anyway, don't hesitate to correct me in the future :D I will never take anything too personally.

Thanks for the help folks; looks like I'll have to RMA it (which I may need help on, I've never RMAd anything before :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom