my display driver keeps failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollithemagicbum

In Runtime
i don't know what to do about it anymore. right before it happens, my monitor gets weird looking and it freezes up and flashes back to normal when the drive recovers. just a few minutes ago it happened again and this time i got a BSOD because it couldn't recover. i'm running windows 7, but it also happens on linux.

i even wiped my c drive and did a fresh installation of everything, but it still happens. i have the latest ati catalyst drivers. my card is a 5770, it's only about 6 months old.

does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

Sounds like it could be overheating? Do you have any idea what sort of temps it's getting (use something like Hardware Monitor to find out).
You could also try using slightly older drivers, there might be problems with the latest driver.

i've tried previous drivers too, and it still does that. my temps of average, plus my room is air conditioned so it never gets too hot.

how do i find out my BSOD stop code?

That looks like it. That could be a problem with your GFX card itself. Might also be your PCI-E port.

It could be the driver as well. As you said it does the same in Linux, I would disregard that.

Make sure your PSU has enough juice as well.

thanks. my psu has 450 watts, i think it's good enough to run what i have. 2 hdds, 2 gb of ram, a q660 at stock speeds, sound blaster card and a 5770 at stock speeds.

my gpu isn't even 6 months old yet, got it christmas 2009. i replaced everything in my computer except the main hard drive and the motherboard. do you think switching pci-e ports would help or does it sound like i need a new motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom